Scooby Doo is an American animated series created in the 60’s by Joe Ruby and Ken Spears. What kind of dog is Scooby Doo and how different are its personality traits compared to the dog breed it represents? Iwao Takamoto was the cartoonist who originally created Scooby Doo.
The cartoonist had a Great Dane named Klutzy which was the inspiration behind creating this character. The cartoon series is about the dog and the teenage group resolving mysteries of the ghost-related and supernatural creatures. They travel across the world in a mystery van to resolve these mysteries.
He created Scooby Doo with the exact opposite characteristics of Great Dane and made it more goofier and clumsy. Great Danes are in big size, regal, cuddly, and show great strength and dignity. The face of Scooby Doo is not similar to the visage of Great Danes.
Scooby Doo is portrayed as chicken-hearted which is the complete opposite of the courageous trait of the Great Dane. All these traits make Scooby Doo an iconic and the most loved cartoon character from the series.
Personality And Physical Characteristics Of Scooby Doo
Scooby Doo is a cowardly dog and speaks human language, English mostly with all the words that sound like they begin with ‘R.’ He can ride a bicycle, catch a fish, and juggle. Unlike the Great Dane, Scooby Doo is not a friendly dog. He is always hungry and gets scared easily.
There is a contrasting character to the timid trait of this dog. At the sight of the ghosts, he jump into Shaggy’s arms but bravely protects his friends in danger. Most of his traits are comical that encourage kids not to be ashamed of their fears and be there for their loved ones.
Like Great Dane, Scooby Doo is active in most of the series but does not make healthy choices when it comes to eating. He loves ham burgers and eats whatever Shaggy does. The cartoonist added these adorable characteristic traits when creating Scooby Doo so kids love him.
Great Danes come in different patterns and coats. Scooby Doo is brown from top to bottom and has black nose. He wears a diamond-shaped collar with the initials SD on them. Presley is a Great Dane from UK who is a real-life Scooby Doo who is scared of everything. His catch-phrase is, ‘Scooby-do-be-do.
What Kind Of Dog Is Scooby Doo – Life Lessons
Nostalgia is what you feel as a 90’s kid when you watch Scooby Doo cartoon series. What kind of dog is Scooby Doo in the series? The one that kids love and have a few lessons to imbue.
- Never trust strangers even if they have nice things to offer you
- Snooby Snack is an allegory about the most precious thing for which you would do anything. Figure that thing you love just like Scooby loves his snacks and ham burgers.
- Team work is essential to get anything done right because it is impossible to achieve them on your own
- Your contribution is an important part of the team because everyone has something unique and significant to offer.
- Scooby had a speech disorder, a flaw but he never let it get in the way of what he wanted to achieve, resolve mysteries. An important lesson to accept your flaws instead of being ashamed of them, never losing faith in yourself
- At the end of the series, it is revealed that the monsters are humans in mask and are not as bad as they look. Therefore, never believe in blind appearances not matter how scary or nice they appear.
- Loyalty in friendship is one of the biggest lessons learnt from this show. Fair weather friends are too many to come by. Those who stick through your bad times and are always by your side standing the test of times are your true friends.
- Everything is not as bad as it seems to be. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us and we do not see it. It teaches us to look through problems with a realistic view and not amplify problems and situations.
- The villain is usually the most unsuspected person, therefore, look deeper and look for cues that give away the answers you are looking for by observing carefully.
- Scooby Doo is timid but he displays bravery when his friends are in trouble. It shows that bravery is about moving forward despite your fears.
What Kind Of Dog Is Scrappy Do?
Scrabby Doo is the naughty nephew of Scooby Doo. The fiesty puppy first appeared in the 70’s cartoon series and helps his uncle in resolving the mystery. His uncle Scooby Doo is very protective of him. This is an interesting addition to the franchise that has boosted the viewership. Unlike Scooby Doo, Scrabby Doo enjoys a face-off with his villains. His catch phrase is, ‘Scrappy Dappy Do.’
What Kind Of Dog Is Scooby Doo – Interesting Facts
- Scooby Doo’s original name is Scoobert Doobert
- The initial plan to name the dog was ‘Too Much’ and then changed to Scooby Doo from the popular Scooby Snacks.
- Scooby Doo had the maximum cartoon series released
- A total 400 villains were fought and defeated by Scooby Doo and his friends
- Scooby Doo and Shaggy are the two characters repeated in all the cartoon series
- Scooby Doo was initially presented as a sheep dog later changed to Great Dane
- Its an unknown fact how Scooby Doo met Shaggy
- Scooby Doo is cartoon series loved in 160 countries
- Scooby Doo has identical siblings, Doobey-Do and Skippy-Do
- Scooby Doo name has been inspired from a line in Frank Sinatara’s song, ‘The Strangers in the night,’ Doo-be-Doo-be-Doo
- The dogs character was originally pitched by the name, ‘Too Much’ who sings bongos in a rock band. The characterization was changed later
- The Scooby Doo franchise include spin-off novels, comic series, cartoon series, board and video games, and motion pictures
- The original title was named, ‘W-Who’s Scared,’ but CBS changed it because they thought it was too scary for kids
- It was honored with ‘Fifth Greatest TV Cartoon Of All Time.’
- It was nominated twice for the Daytime Emmy Award
Scooby Doo is one of the most loved cartoon characters by kids. The 90’s filled every Saturday with joy showcasing this animated series in United States for many years and entertaining kids. What kind of dog is Scooby Doo? A loyal and goofy version of Great Dane who would do anything for his friends.