It can be very impolite to unfollow a new follower or co-worker on Instagram. However, if you don’t wish to see the Stories and posts of a specific person, but you still want to continue the process of messaging, it is better to try muting them. Fortunately, Instagram offers you an easy way to mute them without unfollowing. The best point about this special feature is that Instagram won’t let them become aware that you have already unfollowed their posts and stories. Here are the details about what Instagram is and how to mute someone on Instagram.
What is Instagram?
Instagram is an online photo-sharing application and also a social media platform, acquired by Facebook and is free of cost. Instagram allows its users to upload and edit photos and videos through a mobile app. It is a very useful tool not only for individuals but also for businesses.
There are more than one ways of how to mute someone on Instagram and also their posts or Stories (or both of them simultaneously). Here are the details.
Before going to those steps, you will know what actually happens when you mute someone on Instagram or completes the process of how to mute someone on Instagram.
What actually happens when you mute someone on Instagram?
The task of muting someone on Instagram is actually similar to taking a break from a conversation in our actual and real life. You will try to politely pull yourself out of the conversation without doing any drama or ruffled feathers. When you do the steps of how to mute someone on Instagram, you won’t be able to see any of the stories, videos, and pictures posted by them on your feed anymore. However, the other person can easily view all your contents, and both of you can also visit each other’s page easily.
Moreover, there will be no notification to inform the other person that you have already muted them.
The steps of how to mute someone on Instagram
You can easily complete the process of how to mute someone on Instagram through two easy methods. Such as:
Method 1: How to mute posts and stories
- Firstly, open the Instagram app on your Smartphone and then log in with your details.
- Next, go to the profile that you wish to block by searching their username, or you can also scroll through your own list of followers or the list of the people you follow.
- Now, just tap on the three-dot icon located at the top-right corner for bringing up the pop-out menu.
- Now, you will get several options including those like, Block, Hide Your Story, Copy Profile URL, and some more.
- Among those options, you need to just tap on Mute.
- This will bring you three more options, such as – Mute Story, Mute Posts, and Mute Posts and Story.
- After that, if you want to mute the stories of a person then choose the “Mute Story” option and if you want to mute their posts, then just choose the “Mute Posts” option.
- To mute all of the contents of that person, you have to choose “Mute Posts and Story” option.
Method 2: The process of how to mute messages
When you want to mute the messages from someone on Instagram, it can silence all the notifications. However, it doesn’t mean that the person won’t be able to reach out to you anymore. You can also choose not to give your responses to such messages since there will be no notifications to disturb you. However, the messages coming from that person can always pile up in your inbox.
Here’s how you can be able to mute messages on Instagram that is an important part of how to mute someone on Instagram:
- First of all, open the Instagram app on the phone and then just log in with your personal details.
- Then, just tap on the arrow icon situated at the top-right corner of the screen to open your Inbox.
- After that, select the conversation that you want to mute just by tapping on it, and after, that just tap on the name of the person at the top.
- Now you will get two options – Mute Video Chats and also Mute Messages.
- Now there will be no more ringing notifications when you are really busy.
You can easily do all of those processes without notifying the other person. You also be able to get to keep your own Instagram feed fresh and also free from distractions. So, this is the complete process of how to mute someone on Instagram.
Now, while you are getting information about how to mute someone on Instagram, you will also want to know how you can tell if someone has muted you on Instagram. So, here are the details about the process:
How can you tell if someone has muted you on Instagram?
If you are already used to the unfollow feature on Facebook, you will be able to know that other people can’t be able to know that you have already unfollowed them on the platform. The mute feature of Instagram works in a similar way. Therefore, you need to give a look for the subtle signs and also do some important investigative work to get information about if you have been muted.
- Look out carefully for those persons that you suspect have already muted you on Instagram.
- If those people are active on Instagram and give likes or comments on other people’s posts very often, then you may have been already muted by them.
- It is also good to check the list of the viewers of your Stories.
- If anyone used to pop up on your Viewer’s list previously but now don’t show up, then it’s a possibility that you may have been muted.
- However, you will never be able to confirm it unless you ask that person directly.
So, as Instagram doesn’t disclose this information about if anyone has muted you, you can’t be 100 percent sure about the fact. Similarly, with the help of this easy process of how to mute someone on Instagram, you can easily mute someone or their post, messages, or stories without informing them.
Instagram users often find it difficult to make use of the features. With the attempt of providing them with the best knowledge about the features and functions of Instagram, we try to provide rich content. This blog on Know How To Clear Instagram Cache In The Easiest Possible Way will surely help you.