Bringing a cat to your home is such a delightful feeling. Almost all of us love to play with cats. We just instantly fell in the love with cats’ adorableness, charming eyes, and of course, who doesn’t like those sweet little mews.
Keeping that aside, pet parents mostly get confused regarding the size of their cats. They mostly wonder that when do cats stop growing, how big they can get, and many more questions like that. If you are also wondering about these types of questions, just go through this article. Here we have discussed every essential thing that you must know about the growth of a cat.
The Basic Life Stages Of a Cat
Before we get into when cats stop growing, first we should know about the basic life cycle of a cat. Remember that there might be a few cats who grow much faster than others, so the life cycle described here is generic and can be broken down into 5 stages, including:
- 0 to 6 months – 0 to 6 months is a time when your cat is considered a kitten. Most of the growth and developments happens in this time period. Along with that, this time also gives us a chance to create such cute and memorable moments with our sweet feline.
- 6 months to 2 years – In this time period, your cat is considered a junior. She is not fully matured yet but still growing. A tip for you is that, spend some quality time with your cat during this time period. It will be very helpful in growing her into a confident cat.
- 3 to 6 years old – This is the 3rd stage which is considered as prime adult. Also, in this stage, cats are the healthiest and most active in daily life.
- 7 to 10 years old – In this stage, a cat is known as a well-matured cat. As we humans become less active when we age, the same happens with cats. They become slightly less active, are more likely to catch diseases like diabetes and kidney diseases, and may also gain more weight.
- 11 to 14 years old – This is the last stage and here, a cat is considered a senior. They will barely engage in any kind of physical activity and will spend the most time while sleeping.
When Do Cats Stop Growing?
So, when do cats stop growing? Well, the experts say that a cat is fully developed when she has touched the mark of 12 months of age. But still, even after reaching this mark, a cat is not considered as fully grown. From 18 months to 2 years is the mark when we can say that a cat is fully grown.
However, the breed also plays a major role in the growth. There are a few larger breeds that take 4 to 5 years to stop growing. A few of them are:
- Maine Coons
- British Shorthairs
Few Aspects That Influence The Growth Of Your Cat
The age of the cat is not the only factor that affects the growth. There are a few more aspects that can influence the growth of a cat, including:
Diet – Diet is one of the most important elements in a cat’s growth. Especially in the kitten phase, they demand a good amount of nutrition and calories. If they don’t get the right amount of food and nutrition, it can bring a huge negative impact on the growth of cats.
Spaying Or Neutering – Spaying or neutering is a major contributor to your cat’s growth and it is also proved in recent studies. A cat who gets spayed or neutered in the kitten phase will grow much bigger and larger than others.
Bone Defects – Many cats’ growth can also be hugely affected by bone defects or deformities.
How Can You Know That How Big Your Cat Can Get?
This is another most common question asked by pet owners. On average, a domestic cat is approximately 10 pounds. It may also depend on the breed of the cat, for example, the male of the Maine Coon is approximately 20 pounds. Most likely, how big your cat will be dependent on its genetics. Coat color, hair length, and size also are controlled by the 19 pairs of chromosomes. And generally, it is believed that males are bigger in size than female cats.
Also, many people believe that a cat’s height, size, and weight have a direct link with its paws. But let me tell you that it is not true at all and it is just a myth. If you also believe in this, completely rinse off your mind from this.
How Can You know That Your Cat Is Now Fully Grown
The general answer to this would be between 10 months to 2 years. But after the first year, the growth of your cat will become very slow, and you won’t even be able to notice it.
So, how can you really know that your cat has now stopped growing? The solution to this is by measuring and weighing your feline every month. Cats always continue to grow their length and height (from ground to the shoulder’s top). So, if you measure it every month, you can very easily notice that when your cat has stopped her growth.
If you are providing your cat a nutritious and well-balanced food and involving her in physical activities, she will naturally attain her full size. Also, loving, engaging, and playing with your cat in everyday life is equally important. Always keep in mind that a cat needs lots of love from their parent and it is your duty to fulfill this requirement.
So, that was all about when do cats stop growing. I hope this article was helpful to you.
Thanks For Reading!
Know More About cats: