Flowers are perhaps those elements of the world that are born to make everyone happy. There must not be any individual who can deny the happiness spread by flowers. In this context, we must introduce you to a beautiful and extraordinary flower-creeping thyme.
Now this category of flowers comes up with a variety of colours. Which will you choose? There are numerous varieties of this flower, and you can find them in purple or white, or red. If you are trying to make your garden look attractive and bright, just choose red creeping thyme. Its colour itself speaks a lot about its positive impact on others.
Red creeping thyme has a beauty in its name, and this beauty is also witnessed in its shape, colour, and structure. If you are already familiar with these flowers, you must know how pleasing it is to gaze at them.
Now let us know in detail about this lovely and unique flower.
Red creeping thyme- ground cover types, care, and propagation
Red creeping thyme is the best way to add colours and beauty to your garden. It is because Red creeping thyme is a ground cover plant. Do you know the basic speciality of ground covers? These plants are low growing and, along with that, require very low maintenance. Sometimes they can even withstand being walked on.
Yes, of course, you can always choose any of the other ground cover plants. But I would always suggest you opt for red creeping thyme. It is extremely beautiful and also under your budget. The red creeping thyme is always one of the best options to choose from and is also termed the “mother of thymes.” The researchers also accept it as a low-growing relative of the herbs. The leaves and the flowers of the red creeping thyme are very tiny and are generally oval.
Why are plant ground covers necessary at times?
Ground covers are sometimes necessary and demanding. Let us know the reasons why ground covers can be essential and craving. The points mentioned below are going to help you out:
● You can use them to cover a void place that borders any property.
● You can plant it between stones in the form of a pathway. It would provide a colourful and attractive sight to the place.
● You can plant it on the wall, and it will creep through the wall and will thus create a scenario that will seem like a waterfall of colourful flowers.
● You can give tree trunks borders by planting red creeping thyme. I am sure it will not disappoint you even a bit.
● It is useful as it can tolerate an extensive range of sun or shadow.
● They slow the growth of weeds and thus can stop the formation of moss as well.
● They are far more arresting and engaging than grass at some awkward places.
● Red creeping thymes provide incredible pleasure to the eyes of the beholder.
● In some outdoor arrangements, these plants are used as the bottom layer in large containers.
Why is red creeping thyme an optimal ground cover?
Red creeping thyme has proved itself to be an optimal ground cover. Now, it is time for you to know the reasons for its optimality. They are noted as follows:
● It spreads relatively at a faster rate than any other ground covering plant.
● It can withstand foot traffic as well.
● At its highest blooming period, it can produce a larger volume of flowers than foliage.
● It gives a colourful look to the ground that seeks major attention.
●Red creeping thyme breaks up all the greenery around you.
● It demands very low maintenance that is helpful for the gardeners.
● This plant is perennial in nature and blooms every year. Therefore, you can relax once you have planted.
● Since it has a very short height of only three to four inches, the look of the other plants and shrubs is not destroyed by them.
● Planting red creeping thyme? Your pets and children can now freely move around without any restrictions.
● The size of the leaves and the flowers are similar. It enhances the beauty of the thymes.
● The clump formation by the red creeping thyme is mesmerizing.
● It is not very commonly used for eating purposes, but it is edible.
● Like many other thyme varieties, the red creeping thyme can also be used for making tea.
● Pests? Forget it. You need not worry regarding pests if you are opting to plant red creeping thyme.
● This plant is rabbit and deer-resistant.
● The buzz of the bees will wake you up in the morning as they are immensely attracted to the thyme plants.
● The visit of the bees will enhance pollination for the other plants of the garden as well. It implies that the plantation of red creeping thyme is consequently helping the other plants and shrubs.
● The aroma spread by this plantation is beyond ecstasy.
● Mostly, they are suitable for colder climates, but some varieties also grow in warmer climates.
Red creeping thyme-planting, care, and propagation tips
During the planting season, you can get this plant at most of the stores. So, if you want to bless your garden with the blanket of creeping thyme, then grab it right now. It generally is found in pots or small cuttings. Seeds are also available for growing these plants. But seeds are recommended as, according to most of the gardeners, the seeds of this plant will not yield the proper result you are craving. Though sometimes luck may favour you.
Red creeping thyme can flourish in shaded areas, yet they will always prefer to be put under the proper sunlight. Following are some of the caring conditions meant for a healthy propagation:
● Four hours of direct sunlight is beneficial for the plant.
● A balanced soil condition suits the spreading of this plant the most.
● Be sure that the plant you are about to cultivate is completely devoid of weeds.
● The soil must be loose to let the plants get space for spreading.
● Before transferring the seeds or plant, check the soil properly and do not forget to moisten it.
● Late spring or early summer is the best time to -plant the red creeping thymes.
● There should not be any risk of frost.
● If you plant it by early spring, it will bring you colours by the following spring.
● You must arrange them in a staggered row.
● Keep a minimum gap of 17 inches to 19 inches between each row.
● Spacing will provide the area to spread independently.
● Putting them in a row will create an even look. If you desire a more patchy look, then you may not arrange them in rows.
● If you opt for seeds, then make sure that you are scattering them evenly over the entire area. It is better to mark the area beforehand.
● Cover the whole place with a thin layer of soil after plantation.
● If you opt to plant plugs, select a soil whose size equals the size of the plug.
● After putting the plug in the red creeping, they accumulate some more soil around the plug to make it a bit tight.
● The plant’s root must hold the soil properly as this will help the root penetrate more rapidly.
● You can buy fewer plugs to save money. Just put them a bit more away from each other. Spreading will take longer, yet You will undoubtedly cover the area.
●Red creeping thyme can withstand drought quite easily, but new plants demand more care so that they don’t get dry.
● Moisture is crucial, but witty soil is never suggested.
● After the completion of one year, you are suggested to stop watering frequently.
● Receiving rainfall is beneficial for the growth of these plants.
● It does let the sun reach the weeds lying below and ultimately stops their growth permanently.
● Yet sometimes, they are not able to put up their back because of the weeds. You can put mulch to avoid the competition between them and allow the thymes to spread.
● You must reapply mulch annually.
The primary beauty of this plantation is that you don’t need to mow the covering of the ground. You may eradicate the spent flowers after the conclusion of the blooming season. It is quite easy to do. Just pass a weed wacker over the thyme very gently. Pruning can also be applied to the stems so that you can stop the invasion into the space of other plants. But remember to avert trimming more than twice a season.
Red creeping thyme does not demand fertilization. If you desire to have more than what you are getting, you can use any fish fertilizer or any other generalized fertilizer. But make a note that if you choose to do this, then do it at the onset of the summer that is positive before the growing descends.
Red creeping thyme may remain evergreen. On the other hand, it may also shed all its leaves. Both the scenarios depend on the location the thyme has been planted at. Pruning is not necessary. But you are suggested to cover the plant with sand so that you can protect it. Proper drainage is essential. Thus choose the location accordingly. Having a shed is always helpful for such plants. It will protect the plantation in the future. These were some of the overwintering techniques that work very often. However, if they don’t, you are suggested to replant your red creeping thyme every year. Your last option is to consider it as an annual plant.
Reproduction of red creeping thyme
Propagation is the best way for the red creeping thyme to reproduce. This plant works as a carpet. Hence, they keep on producing their stems as they propagate gradually. You can excavate small clumps of it and plant that elsewhere. Then those later planted plants are going to proceed further.
Do you know what propagation primarily means? It means growing of pls from the cut-off part. Below are the mentioned steps on how to continue with propagation:
● As you find the plant is thriving, then take a cutting from the stem of the plant.
● Now clean all the leaves from the lowermost portion of the stem.
● Arrange a planting tray. You will need it after cleaning.
● Now get a growing medium. For example, sand coarse.
● Make a tiny hole into the growing medium.
● Put the cut end of the stem into the powder that is used to root hormones. Then immediately put it into the growing medium.
● The cutting must be kept moist but remember not wet.
● You can cover the plant with plastic so that it holds moisture. It will protect it from moisture. Finally, you can keep it under sunlight.
● After a few weeks of trying to pull the plant. Though not so aggressively. But, if you find the pulling arresting, then the roots have engaged themselves.
● This arrest is a sign that now you can take your plant to a garden.
● Place the cuttings outdoors to make it harder.
● Finally, with time advancement, plant it in its desired location when it gets completely hard.
Benefits of growing red creeping thyme
It does not matter whether you are likely to plant red creeping thyme in your garden. It is going to bless your garden once it steps there. The benefits you are going to obtain by planting red creeping thyme in your garden are as follows:
It is easy to grow
Does not have enough time to take care of plants? Just opt for thyme plants. It is perhaps the best option for you as it does not demand maintenance and care. Frequent harvesting is enough to make it prune naturally. Or else, you can also cut back the woody stems.
It contains good medicinal values
Medicinal properties are one of the primary benefits a plant can provide you with. There are some natural remedies where red creeping thyme leaves its footsteps. It can be used as an antiviral herb. Cold and cough, and bronchitis infections can be cured by the utilization of this plant.
It can also serve as a strong antiseptic whenever you get cuts, acne, and scraps. You can also cure sore muscles by using the leaves of this plant as a paste.
Red creeping thyme is also used for making certain oils, which is possible due to the presence of thymol. It is also not away from benefitting you while cooking. You can add this oil to your food for some exceptional benefits. Direct application of this oil is beneficial to your skin. It will act as a moisturizer.
Able to attract some beneficial pollinators and insects
The beauty of nature and your garden is immensely increased by the touch of the red creeping thyme. Nevertheless, it attracts pollinators and insects in a large number. Consequently, a large number of beneficial pollinators are also attracted. In this way, the remaining plants of your garden are also blessed by having thyme as a partner plant.
Acts as a pest repellent
Red creeping thyme has a powerful aroma that forces the pests to get confused. Hence, planting thyme can help you prevent pests from destroying the other crops by acting as a pest repellent.
It helps in reducing erosion
The roots of these plants are extended deep beneath the soil. It has been seen that they penetrate almost 2 feet deep inside the soil. It is the reason why they can grab the soil strongly, thus ultimately preventing soil erosion.
Furthermore, the roots are fibrous. This fibrous nature serves to be another important way of preventing soil erosion.
Side effects of red creeping thyme
Though red creeping thyme comes up with several benefits and beauty, you must also be aware of certain side effects. Generally, thyme has been proven safe when consumed in the proper amounts. Acting as a medicine is also safe. But it is not suggested as a medication for a long period. If taken regularly, it can also cause stomach upset accompanied by digestive tract disorders.
For some individuals, the application of thyme oil can cause skin irritation. However, there is not enough research that concludes the safety of thyme as a medication or dosage through the mouth.
Special precautions and warnings for red creeping thyme
Some special warnings and precautions have been recommended for the usage of red creeping thyme. Let us introduce you to them.
Though not enough studies are available yet, children are not at risk of taking thyme as a medication. They are considered to be possibly safe.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Thyme is expected to be safe when taken during pregnancy. But since not enough research is found thus, you must stick to the food amounts only.
Allergic to oregano and similar plants
Most probably, it is found that individuals who are generally allergic to oregano and other similar plants are likely to get allergic to thyme as well. Therefore, these individuals are not normally recommended to have the thyme.
The use of thyme plants generally reduces blood clotting. Especially when consumed at increased levels, thyme increases the risk of bleeding.
If you have had a scheduled surgery, stop thyme consumption for at least two weeks. It is because thyme can increase the risk of bleeding, and after surgery, it is likely to cause far more bleeding.
Some of the hormone-sensitive conditions are breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and endometriosis. The action of thyme is similar to that of estrogen. Thus, if you are going through any situation that will worsen if exposed to estrogen, you are recommended to avoid thyme.
Dosage of creeping thyme
The inappropriate dosage depends upon various factors. The chief reasons are the age of the users, the health of the users, and many other conditions. Presently, there are not many studies that suggest the proper dosage of thyme. You must always remember that not every natural product needs to be always safe. Therefore, make sure that you follow the given instructions on the labels and consult the doctor or any healthcare professionalist before any dosage.
Varieties of creeping thyme
Though we have been discussing red creeping thyme all this time, you must also know that there are some other categories of creeping thymes. They, too, are extremely catchy and are surely going to blow out your mind.
It primarily consists of purple-coloured lavender flowers. These are predominantly used in the creeping thyme variety. You can find them during early to mid-summer. Their low-growing nature is appreciable. The spread of each flower is more or less 18 inches. Just as the name goes- ‘carpet,’ it also works as a carpet, and you can undoubtedly walk over it.
It is famous for its fussy and dark green foliage. The colour is pink, and that is, of course, understandable by its name. It can dissipate almost up to 24 inches. The leading advantage is that they distribute themselves at an incredibly rapid rate.
Mediterranean creeping thyme
Cluster formation by deep pink flowers is the chief attraction of this category. If you desire clusters more than individual flowers, just go for them without a second thought. Due to this cluster, they fascinate a large number of bees as well as butterflies. Their spread is almost 18 inches.
Red creeping thyme
Magenta flowers-this is all to identify this variety of creeping thymes. They can wrap a vast expanse within a very short interval. Its tiny but prolific and elegant flowers make it one of its kind. It is seen to grow flat. It is no doubt that they will unravel up to 18 inches in dia
meter but won’t grow more than an inch tall.
The carpet look is less observable than the other varieties of creeping thyme. Green leaves in the shape of needles are produced by this variety. Though the name implies an orangish look, the flowers are pink in colour. The flowers are formed in clusters. The diameter spreads up to 11 inches wide.
The rate of growth is perhaps the slowest for this variety. The height is also the smallest, and therefore they are almost mixed up with the ground level. It does not even touch one inch of height. The leaves are grey and have a tinted shape. The tiny and pale flowers in pink colour provide it with an ultimate ecstatic look. The diameter is only three to seven inches wide.
The name itself is a bit unique. Its oval-shaped leaves with silver-green colour are extremely adorable. Moreover, the spiral arrangement adds an extra flavour to it. This variety can also withstand drought. During summer, purple and pink flowers bloom in this variety of thyme. Warm climates do not suit the growth of this variety.
Purple or pink flowers along with dark green leaves bloom in summer. An incredibly beautiful gold covering is formed at the tips of the leaves. This scenario occurs during the winter season, and thus in this way, you can easily identify this variety.
The creamy white hue formed on the tip of the leaves is thus worth the name. A small lavender blooms in this variety of thyme plants. It spreads over one to two feet in area, and the average height is almost two to three inches tall.
Gardeners, while choosing thyme as ground cover, always inquire about one primary question. The question is whether creeping thymes are manageable or invasive.
The creeping thyme acts as a wonderful cover for the ground, mainly in areas experiencing bright sunlight. Creeping thyme is edible as well. The nose pleasuring herbal aroma brings you peace to another level.
What are you waiting for? Buy this adorable plant today and bless your garden as well as your eyes. Now that we know all the benefits, precautions, side effects, and dosages of red creeping thyme, it is time for you to grab this herb and utilize it in the best ways you can.
FAQs on red creeping thyme
Can red creeping thyme choke the grass of your garden?
Red creeping thyme enhances the beauty of spring a pinch more though they are truly adorable during summer. They are exceptionally effective in choking out weeds but not grass. So, relax and plant.
Which thyme covers the ground of a steep bank the best?
Several woody plants can serve as incredibly good groundcovers. Some of the examples are fragrant sumac, creeping juniper, Russian arborvitae, and bearberry.
Does red creeping thyme repel mosquitos?
Red creeping thyme possesses an extraordinary mosquito-repelling property. Just crush the leaves and allow the volatile oil to secrete. Now apply crushed stems around seats or clothes to make it effective.
Is red creeping thyme poisonous to dogs?
No. Red creeping thyme is not poisonous to dogs. It has been proven to be safe. Though there may be some precautionary measures so always recommend your vet.
How fast does red creeping thyme spread?
Generally, red creeping thyme requires one year to bloom. Then it gradually begins to spread as soon as the second season arrives. All varieties of creeping thymes spread by penetrating the soil with their stems. They all are likely to produce leaves and flowers periodically.