Is Brown Rice Gluten-free: All You Need to Know
Well, in the age of the keto diet, we pay special attention to whatever we eat. Even if a single piece of chocolate contains extra calories, people avoid it. Under such circumstances, rice is a food that every health-conscious person wants to avoid.
Well, talking about rice, it is a card-enriched meal that is eaten in many parts of Asian countries. And as it includes a high amount of carbohydrates, many people are concerned about its other effects, like gluten or not. You may find people asking questions like- is brown rice gluten-free? Probably, you, too, have the same question in mind. Do not worry! We are here to clear your doubts.
So. here we will discuss the answer to your questions like – “is brown rice gluten-free?” Along with that, you will find several other information related to it. Indeed, it will enrich your knowledge and improve your insights about food habits.
When it is about brown rice and its nature, let’s begin with a brief description of the types of rice and especially the types of brown rice.
Types of Rice
If you are in the USA, you may not find so many varieties like those in Asian regions. But, still, the variations are excellent. Here are some of the best options you can try in the USA.
When classified by degrees:
- rough rice
- whole-grain rice
- white rice
When classified by kernel sizes:
- long-grain rice
- medium grain rice
- short-grain rice
Also, a few aromatic and specialized variations of rice are influenced by Asian variants.
- basmati rice
- Jasmine rice
- arborio rice
- sweet rice
- red aromatic rice
- black japonica rice
A wide variety of processed rice is also available. They are:
- parboiled rice
- precooked rice
- retort rice
- individually quick frozen rice
- seasoned rice mixes
OK, the list is not over yet. Another variation that steals the hearts of rice lovers is wild rice. If you are not aware of it, let us tell you that it is not actual rice. It is a whole-grain, semi-aquatic grass first found in Northern America.
Now, coming to brown rice they are usually of three types. The types are:
- Short grain- It includes small kernels. This type of brown rice is mainly used in making rice pudding, risotto, etc. You can cook it within 25 minutes after soaking them in water overnight.
- Medium grain- This type is slightly larger than short-grain rice. It takes 15-20 minutes to be cooked entirely only after soaking it in water for four hours. When it is cooked with salted water, it becomes tender and moist. It is majorly used in preparing soups, salads, and different side dishes.
- Long grain- It is the most commonly found brown rice type. This long-grain rice is famous for its well-known golden brown texture and superb nutty flavor. People use it to prepare diverse types of rice pilafs. Also, it works as a significant ingredient in stir fry dishes. It requires at least 45 minutes to be cooked thoroughly.
Not to ignore another type of brown rice that people often love, let’s mention light brown rice. Yes, as its name sounds, it is light brown. When half of the bran is removed from the long-grain brown rice, it becomes light brown rice. It includes less fiber than long grain rice. And it takes around 20 minutes to be prepared. So, many people opt for it to save time.
Is Brown Rice Gluten-Free: Question is Answered
Gluten, as we know, is a protein component found in wheat, rye, barley, etc. People who are allergic to it or have celiac disease must avoid brown rice. Even sometimes nutritionists suggest avoiding gluten when you are under a specific diet.
So, now, let’s come to your genuine concern. Is brown rice gluten-free? OK, let us assure you that most rice types, including white and brown, do not include gluten, but only in natural forms. If you mix it with any glutinous products, you may not find it as it is.
The rice types that are may not be gluten-free are-
- prepackaged rice
- sauce-smeared rice
- rice with added seasonings
- sticky rice types found in different Asian countries
- Rice Krispies cereal that is made with barley malt
- rice pilaf made with orzo
- rice pudding made with glutinous ingredients
Things to Remember
So, now, you know that brown rice, along with many other rice types, is free from gluten in its natural forms. However, if you are concerned about – “is brown rice gluten-free,” here are a few things to remember.
- While shopping for rice, make sure to check the labels on the package.
- Try not to buy rice from bulk bins since they contain glutinous variants.
- If you are dining out, make sure to take plain rice without any add-ons.
- Ask for a gluten-free brown rice dish in a restaurant if no plain rice dish is available.
- Take advice from nutritionists for more specific details.
- Buy rice from a trustworthy shop or vendor to ensure that they provide what you want.
Is Brown Rice Gluten-free: Some Frequently Asked Questions
Before we end today’s discussion on gluten-free brown rice, let’s talk about some more commonly asked questions on this topic and some other similar topics.
- Are potatoes gluten-free?
Yes, potatoes are gluten-free. Gluten is usually found in grains like wheat, rye, barley, etc. And potatoes are root vegetables, after all. So, they are gluten-free. People with celiac disease are often recommended to have potatoes instead of glutinous food.
2. Does oatmeal have gluten?
Usually, white oats do not contain gluten. But, if they are prepared with other glutinous ingredients, they may be harmful to people sensitive to gluten.
3. Do eggs have gluten?
In natural forms, they do not have gluten. But, if you prepare it with glutinous sauce or other similar ingredients, things go different.
4. Does sticky rice have gluten?
Yes, some types of sticky rice have gluten. That is why it is highly recommended to check the labels on the packages before you buy any of them.
5. Is sushi gluten-free?
Sushi, when it is a natural combo of rice, vegetables, and fish only, it is free from gluten. But many a time, it is smeared with soy sauce or other ingredients that contain gluten. Also, rice vinegar is used often.
Before You Go
So, it was all about your question- is brown rice gluten-free? We hope that your doubts are cleared now. You can enjoy your favorite brown rice as they do not contain gluten. But, make sure that they are not prepared with any glutenous ingredients. Moreover, we have discussed some more questions on this topic. So, let us know how you liked it—looking forward to your valuable comments!
Are you a low-carb diet lover? Click here to get some of the best low-carb recipes for breakfast.