Honey Soy Chicken: Learn the Steps and Tips to Prepare It
A room lit with candlelight! With petals of roses and the sweet aroma of perfume, the ambiance is soothing. You are waiting at the dinner table with a perfect bowl of honey soy chicken. Just cooked for your love of life! Doesn’t it sound lovely?
Indeed, it is. And, surely, your bae will enjoy it. But, here, the concern is how to prepare that perfect bowl. Well, we know the theories that nothing is perfect and all. But, when it comes to your loved ones, you can go to the top of heaven to bring that perfect taste. Isn’t it?
So, we are here to help you prepare that delicacy perfectly. Here, we will share the ingredients, steps, and tips. Let’s delve into it.
Ingredients You Need to Prepare Honey Soy Chicken:
Well, the very name of the dish says it all. The must-have ingredients to prepare this dish are- honey, soy sauce, and of course, chicken.
The ingredients are:
- 500 gm chicken thighs, washed and fresh
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cedar vinegar
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- two cloves garlic, minced
- salt and black pepper as per taste
- lemon juice as per taste
How to Prepare Honey Soy Chicken: The Steps
So, you have got the ingredients. It is time to prepare the dish. The best way to enjoy a soft and delicious chicken bite is to marinate the raw chicken before cooking. Here, also, we will share first how to marinate the chicken.
To marinate, you need to prepare the sauce.
- Combine honey, soy sauce, oil, black pepper, salt, vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a bowl.
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and rinse the water.
- Coat the chicken thighs with a little bit of salt and black pepper first.
- Then, pour the mixed sauce into it. Coat the chicken well.
- Cover and keep it aside for at least 30 minutes. Some chefs suggest keeping it overnight.
Once you put the chicken with marinade, the next step is to pre-heat the oven. Yes, you need a microwave oven to bake the chicken.
- Pre-heat the oven at 220 degrees C or 425 degrees F.
- Layer a cast iron skillet with baking foil.
- Place the chicken with marinade on it.
- Bake it for at least 25-30 minutes, uncovered.
- Check occasionally to ensure that the top does not get dry.
- Broil for 5 minutes more until the chicken becomes golden brown.
- Serve it on a plate. Drizzle lemon juice to add a savory taste.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and parsley leaves.
Thus, you can prepare the super delicious honey soy chicken. Now, how to serve it? Of course, if your loved ones are hardcore chicken lovers, you can treat them with only this bowl. Anyways, if you plan it for dinner or lunch, you can serve it with fried rice, or regular noodles, or the combo of steamed white or brown rice, and steamed broccoli.
Honey Soy Chicken: Tips to Make it Better:
Well, let’s go some extra miles in the name of love. Along with the right ingredients and steps, let’s have some additional tips. Follow them to cook the dish more perfectly than ever. Yes, your favorite person will love it.
So, here are the tips.
- While removing the chicken from the oven, do not discard the liquid. Pour it into the plate along with the chicken.
- Flip the chicken occasionally while baking to make sure it is baked from all corners.
- If you are using chicken breast, use thin-cut pieces.
- Using thin-cut chicken breasts reduces the cooking time by 10-15 minutes. Otherwise, the chicken will get too dry.
- Do not make the sauce thick, as it will sticky over the foil.
- You can use green onions to garnish if you like.
- Use low-sodium soy sauce to ensure better health.
So, it was all about preparing the best honey soy chicken ever. Definitely, it will help you cheer your loved ones’ mood any time. Now, it is time to wrap up. Before we go, let’s answer a few frequently asked questions on this topic. Hopefully, some of your remaining doubts will be cleared forever.
Honey Soy Chicken: Some Commonly-asked Questions:
Where does honey soy chicken originate from?
Although it is now a popular dish loved by people worldwide, the dish is a traditional Cantonese cuisine dish. In Hong Kong, it is famous as siu mei dish.
How long can you marinate chicken in soy sauce?
Well, at least 30 minutes is essential. But, it is always best if you can do it overnight. In some cases, chefs even keep it for two days. But, that is for professionals only.
What happens if you marinate chicken for too long?
Marinating chicken for a long time makes it soft and easy to cook. Also, it makes the dish flavorful. That is why chefs always recommend marinating it for a long time.
Is it better to marinate in the fridge or room temp?
According to the cooking experts, you should always marinate in the refrigerator. You should not marinate at room temperature as bacteria form in that warmth.
Is it ok to marinate with lemon juice?
If you use sugar and lemon juice together, it will make it more tender. If there is already an amount of vinegar or citric acid, the lemon juice will change the dish’s texture as well.
Do you still season chicken after marinating?
Yes. As the marinade softens the chicken, the seasoning adds more flavor. So, it is wise to season the chicken after marinating.
Should you rinse marinade off before cooking?
It is better to wipe off extra marinade if you want a perfect brown chicken. And if you want to make it a little juicy with gravy, keep it as it is.
The Bottom Line
Let your loved ones enjoy the delicious taste of well-cooked chicken. Enjoy the warmth of love with your bae and a brown-juicy bowl of honey soy chicken. We hope you have enjoyed the article. Shoot your feedback in the comment section. We would love to hear from you. Experience a tasty tit-bit!
Got some leftover raw chicken? Click here to learn how to refreeze chicken.