How long does botox last- All You Need To Know Beforehand!
Planning to use botox but do not know how long does botox last? This article will tell you how long does botox lasts with all other related information to botox so that you can decide if you want to get it done or not.
Botox is a drug that doctors use to treat facial creases and wrinkles. Botox is basically a brand name for the bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. There are other similar brands like Xeomin and Dysport. Botox was the first botulinum toxin to be injected so you might have heard it more often than the others.
The most common reason behind using botox or getting the procedure of botox done is to reduce the appearance of wrinkles on the face and improve the elasticity of the skin. But, other than wrinkles, getting botox shots can help treat some other conditions as well such as:
- Sever underarm sweating or hyperhidrosis.
- Cervical dystonia. It is a neurological disorder that causes severe muscle spasms in the shoulders and the neck.
- Blinking that is not under your control or blepharospasm.
- Strabismus refers to the pointing of eyes in different directions.
- Overactive bladder.
- Chronic migraine.
In general, the effects of botox injections lasts for as long as 4 to 6 months after getting the treatment done. When it is used for medical purposes like migraines or reducing muscle spasms, it may last shorter than the usual duration. When you receive a Botox injection, the amount of Botox injected and the location where it is injected will affect how long the Botox lasts. Some other factors can also affect the lasting of botox injections. All these factors include:
- Your age
- Depth of wrinkles
- The elasticity of your skin
For instance, if you are planning to get botox done for reducing wrinkles appearance, know that those wrinkles will not disappear completely, the effects wear off after few months and the deep wrinkles start appearing.
How long does botox work?
Botox works by blocking the signals from the nerves to your muscles. The muscles in which Botox is injected cannot properly contract which makes wrinkles soften and relax. It is mostly used for crow’s feet, forehead lines, and frown lines. But botox is not meant to help wrinkles that are caused due to damage from the sun and gravity.
Let’s see how long does botox lasts and how long the procedure takes.
How long procedure takes?
Getting botox done only needs few minutes and you are good to go. You will not require drugs like anesthesia for botox. The providers will use a very small needle for injecting botox into the muscles that are wrinkled with minor discomfort.
It normally takes only 7 to 14 days for it to take full effect. Know that alcohol should be avoided for 1 week before getting botox done. Also, stop taking drugs or medications like aspirin or some anti-inflammatory medications 2 weeks before the treatment starts to avoid bruising.
Avoid rubbing or using harsh force for 24 hours n the region injections are injected to avoid the spread of botox to nearby regions. All the others instructions in detail will be mentioned by the doctor so make sure you follow them.
Now, the most important question is how long does botox last? Let’s find out!
How long does botox last?
The effects of botox will remain anywhere between 3 to 6 months. For some people, it may be 3 months whereas for some it may reach 6 months too. This variation is due to many factors like age, skin elasticity, etc. As the action of muscles returns slowly, the wrinkles and lines will start reappearing again which will require Botox injections. The wrinkles and lines often appear less severe with every treatment because of the shrinking of muscles.
Now that you know how long does botox lasts, you must also know that there are certain criteria to be able to be an ideal individual for botox procedures. You should not get botox done if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or having some sort of neurological disease that should not use botox.
Also, botox is not meant to work for all wrinkles so you must check with your doctor before going for botox to know if you are an ideal candidate or not. Those who are allergic to cow’s milk protein should not consider botox. Botox is not covered by insurance when you get it done for cosmetic purposes. Make sure you check all the health insurance companies to find out if there are coverage details for botox or not.
Botox is definitely useful in getting rid of wrinkles but that does not indicate you should go for it. There are side effects of everything be it botox or Dysport. Let’s see what are they.
Side effects of botox
After getting the injections injected, you might face certain side effects which include:
- Bruising- This is an extremely common side effect and it goes away soon after the procedure completes.
- Headaches. Typically the headaches last for one or two days only.
- Drooping of eyelids. This happens in a very small percentage of people and goes away within 2 to 3 weeks. It usually occurs when the botox moves around so avoid rubbing the area of injections.
- Drooling or crooked smile.
- Severe tearing and dryness in the eyes.
- Mild pain and swelling in the area where Botox is injected.
- Upset stomach
- Weakness in muscles nearby
- General unwell feeling and flu-like symptoms.
How frequently should you get botox done?
Now that you know how long does botox lasts, you might be worried about what to do once the wrinkles start appearing again. You can talk to your doctor or healthcare provider to know how frequently you should be getting the injections of botox injected safely. The frequency of injections should not occur sooner than at least 3 months so that resistance to botox is not developed. If you receive botox regularly, you may be able to go longer durations of time between the treatments of botox.
Botox is undoubtedly a great way to reduce the appearance of wrinkles in old age or if they appear at a young age but you should still take steps to prevent the appearance of new wrinkles and keep your skin healthy. Let’s see some ways using which you can start caring for your skin right now and avoid getting wrinkles soon.
How to prevent wrinkles
Now that you know how long does botox lasts, you must take care of your skin beforehand. There are certain steps you must follow to prevent new wrinkles and keep the skin condition healthy.
- Wear a good sunscreen- Wearing a sunscreen having a sun protection factor of 30 especially on the face prevents the UV rays from damaging your skin and its aging. You should also wear sunglasses and a hat when going out. Limiting exposure to the sun can be useful in preventing wrinkles from forming.
- Do not smoke- Smoking is reasonable for increasing wrinkles and your skin’s age. It may also make the skin thin.
- Stay hydrated– Drinking enough is every day is a great way to keep your skin healthy. Water helps in the normal function of cells, circulation, and digestion. Try to drink at least eight to nine glasses of water every day.
- Use moisturizers- Hydrating moisturizers should be used based on the type of skin you have. Ask the dermatologist ad doctors to recommend a specific moisturizer for your skin type.
- Eat healthy diets- The food you eat shows up on your skin sooner or later. Ask the nutritionist or doctors to recommend a healthy diet.
- Use gentle cleanser- use any gentle cleanser to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and other residue that accumulates on the skin. They can help protect your skin and keeps you hydrated.
The bottom Line
Botox is a toxin injected to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on the face. Some other such drugs are Dysport but they last less than botox. Botox is mostly safe to use with some side effects which usually vanish within few days after the treatment.
It lasts between3 months to 6 months. Regular botox treatment also affects how long does botox last on your skin. In general, you will require botox treatments again after a few months (not less than 3) to maintain the effect of botox on your face.
This was everything you needed to know on how long does botox last and how long the procedure takes.