Table of Contents
How To Make Rice Water- Know the procedure and uses!
We often love trying DIY masks and products for our hair. Knowing how to make rice water at home for your face and hair is an excellent and popular DIY these days which you may have heard about. Not only is everyone from the Korean beauty routine are hoping for this trend, but you can also watch the hair care tutorial of Cardi B, even she is trying rice water for her hair.
If you are looking for something that can strengthen your hair or grow like crazy, learning how to make rice water and using it might be the most helpful way to achieve results. Rice water is basically the starchy water left out after your soak rice or cook it. It is believed to make hair shiny and smooth as well as helps your hair grow quickly
Rice water is believed to help so much due to its amazing composition. You might not know it but rice water has amino acids, antioxidants, minerals, vitamin E, and vitamin B in it.
Before getting started with how to make rice water, let’s give you detailed information on the history and benefits of rice water.
Women in japan, china, and southeast Asia have used rice water for their hair care for centuries. But, are there any scientific proofs for rice water to be good for your hair? You will know everything soon.
History of rice water
As per many reports by researchers, women in the Heian period back in 1185 CE in japan had nearly floor-length healthy hair which they maintained by bathing in rice water. Nowadays everyone is trying to know how to make rice water at home for using it on the face and as a hair mask. The benefits of rice water are so incredible that it is worth trying. Let’s hop onto the benefits and then learn how to make rice water and how to use it for both face and hair.
Benefits of rice water
People who use rice water for hair believes that:
- It helps to detangle your hair.
- Makes your hair smoother.
- Increases shine in your hair.
- It helps to make your hair stronger.
- It helps your hair to grow much longer.
With all such amazing benefits, why not learn how to make rice water and enjoy these incredible benefits.
How to make rice water
Rice after offers a lot of benefits and has multiple uses. You can simply enjoy rice water as a beverage also known as Horchata. Some people drink rice water as a home remedy to get relief from constipation and diarrhea-like problems.
Additionally, many people prefer using rice water as a persona; cleanser for skin and hair. For topical uses, you can either cold-brew a batch of rice water to use immediately or ferment a more potent mix to be diluted later on with warm water. The latter helps save some storage space n your kitchen. Both are equally helpful though!
Here are some ways using which you will easily know how to make rice water and store it to be used further.
1. How to make rice water for preparing horchata (as a beverage)
To make rice water through this procedure you will need measuring cups, spoons, a large saucepan, refrigerator, stovetop, fine sieve, blender, etc. You already know horchata is a beverage but it could be used to enjoy. Let’s see how to make rice water using this procedure.
- Steep the rice along with cinnamon and water. For this, you must use a large saucepan. Pour 2 quarts of water and add 1 cup of long-grain rice to align with it. Take a cinnamon stick and break it into small pieces to be added inside the saucepan. Let all the ingredients soak inside the water for 3 hours.
- It is time to heat the saucepan now. After the mixture you created has steeped for 3 hours at least, pace the saucepan on a burner and heat the mixture keeping the burner on medium-high flame. Once the water has started to boil, you can lower the what. Let the ingredient simmer for half an hour at least before jumping onto the next step.
- Blend all the content in the saucepan now. First, you must allow the water and rice to completely cool down after it has simmered. The trader all the contents inside a blender or use immersion blenders in the sauce itself. Puree the rice and water until they have completely combined to form a smooth texture.
- Place a fine sieve on a large container. You must either ladle or pour the mixture inside the sieve to strain the liquid inside the container. Just discard the leftover residue in the sieve. This method involved straining the mixture only.
- The last step involves chilling and flavoring the liquid. Stir 100 g of a cup of white sugar or any other sweetening ingredient based on the calories you want to sweeten the rice. If you wish to add extra flavors to the dish, you may add a teaspoon of vanilla too. Keep it inside the refrigerator to cool down the liquid. Serving it over ice when it is ready makes a great recipe to be eaten.
2. How to make rice water for topical treatment
Some of the ingredients and equipment needed for this step include a container, refrigerator, sealable containers, large spoons for stirring, a fine sieve, medium-sized bowl for mixing and measuring cups. To use rice water topically for your hair or skin, you can follow the following steps and use it for maximum benefits.
- Rinse the rice first of all. Make sure to take a colander that has small holes for the water to pass only and for the rice water to stay inside of it when you are cleaning. The grains should not slip. Load this container with half a cup of rice and rinse it using clean water.
- Now, you must soak the rice and transfer the rinsed rice to a bowl having medium size. Add at least 2 to 3 cups of water inside of it and let it sit for half an hour at least.
- Stir all the contents. Once the water has soaked completely into the rice, stir it up. You can either use your fingers or a spoon to press the rice gently. This helps to release the minerals and vitamins into the water completely so that they can benefit your hair and skin.
- The last step involves storing and training the water. You can place a fine sieve over the container of rice or use a bowl. Strain the mixture through this sieve. Seal the container and store it inside a refrigerant to be sed. When used inside a refrigerator, you can use this for a week but not more than that.
3. How to make rice water for fermenting it for potency
You will need a pot or saucepan along with a stovetop for this procedure. Let’s see the procedure involved in making rice water to be used for potency through the fermentation process.
- The first step involved making a cold brew. If you have made one already and stored it inside the fridge, remove it to be kept at room temperature for warming slightly. If not, just make a cold brew but do not strain the liquid. Let the rice grains sit inside the water instead and cover the bowl.
- Let this rice water sit at room temperature. You have to allow the rice to ferment at room temperature for 1 or 2 days. You can smell the contents periodically by uncovering them. Once the smell turns sour, know that it has fermented. Depending upon the place you live, the time taken for fermentation may vary, so have the patience of it makes more time than usual.
- Also, based on the straining of liquid the time may vary. Usually, an unstrained mixture should ferment completely within 12 to 48 hours. A strained mixture may take anywhere between 24 hours to 48 hours and if the room temp is higher, the time needed for fermentation will also be reduced.
- The third step involved boiling the water. First, if you have not already strained the liquid, do it now! Transfer this liquid inside of a saucepan. Keep the what t medium-high. Bring water to a boil for ceasing the process of fermentation. Boiling the water once it has fermented is also recommended but it is not strictly a necessity.
- The last step involves storing the rice water for using it later on. If you wish to use it right away, make the water has cooled down to prevent scalding. Otherwise, transfer it to a sealable container and store it inside the refrigerator. Expect fermented water to pack a punch. You can also dilute it with plain water if you wish to for usage.
For those who are thinking what is the difference between using fermented rice water or simply plain rice water, here is what you need to know. Using this you can decide if you have to make fermented rice water or just plain rice water.
Some rice water users claim that the benefits of fermented rice water are more than that of plain rice water. According to a study from 2021, it was reported that ferment substances be it rice water has more amount of antioxidants which help combat skin cell damages and hair issues. This is the reason ferment ingredients are more often used in beauty products. To ferment the rice water you just have to keep it at room temp. As mentioned in the last procedure above.
Now that you might already have learned how to make rice water, it is equally important to know how to use rice water. You might not know this but rice water has the potential to replace your commercial conditions. To do this, you should:
- Wash your hair using a good shampoo.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water from the shower.
- Pour the rice water you made onto your hair.
- Massage it onto the hair and scalp for few minutes.
- Leave it for 20 minutes or so for the ingredients to work properly.
- Rinse your head thoroughly using lukewarm water from the tap or shower.
You can also use it for your skin as it has numerous amazing benefits. In addition to its benefits for hair, a 2002 study has found out that starch present inside the rice helps heal the damaged skin for individuals suffering from dermatitis. This shows that it has benefits for the skin too. Now that you know, just pick any method of how to make rice water and use it for the purpose you need.
The Bottom Line
Knowing how to make rice water at home is extremely useful for DIY love and although people prefer using natural means to improve their hair and skin texture and using chemicals. This rice water is packed with minerals and vitamins that can improve hair quality, shone and heal damaged skin.
It is a traditional beauty practice highly popular in many regions all over Asia and now popular all over the world. Having gained so much attention from social media sites, this alternative beauty remedy is immensely popular. Many people have found rice water to be immensely useful for their hair treatments.
Many researchers and historical pieces of evidence suggest that rice water may help improve the growth, texture, and strength of hair. Most of the scientific pieces of evidence you see are inconclusive so more research is definitely needed to affirm the facts and benefits o rice water.
While the results are not conclusive, there is no harm in trying rice water for your hair if you wish to. It is a great remedy to treat your hair and skin with acutely no side effects whatsoever. However, it has been found to help people with dermatitis indicating its usefulness for skin issues.
That being said, you can follow these procedures on how to make rice water and prepare your own. Just store it inside the refrigerator and use it for your hair and skin for a week. Do not keep it for more than a week unless you want it to ferment at room temperature.