Table of Contents
Hot Oil Treatment For Hair- All You Need To Do
Do you feel your hair is becoming fizzy, brittle, or dry? You definitely need to pamper them with a hot oil treatment. When it comes to nourishing and protecting your hair, the first thing that comes to our mind is hot oil treatment. If normally oiling the hair does not work for you, there are many other things you can try.
These are made from plant-based oils like almond oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. The hot oil treatment work by sealing the cuticles of hair follicles. This generally helps in strengthening and protecting the hair. There are few options for receiving a hot oil treatment. You can easily visit a salon to get the treatment done or you can also do it home as it is more affordable.
There are many DIY hot oil treatments to be done at home. There are ready-made options available over the counter to apply as a hot oil treatment. However, if you have decided to use this treatment it is important to know various safety risks and the type of oil to be used for your scalp.
People having skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis should ask their doctor or their dermatologist about which type of oil they should be using and whether it is safe for them or not.
Let’s see what are the most amazing benefits of using a hot oil treatment for your scalp.
Benefits Of Treatment
There are many benefits of using plant-based hot oil in your scalp as it has some properties that will help moisturize and protect your hair.
Some other potential benefits of using this treatment are:
- It delayed the time required for the maturation of follicles. When you age, some hormones blocking your hair follicles, shrink and weaken them. When you massage your hair frequently using hot oil it unclogs the hair follicles and delay the process of miniaturization. It also thickens the pores of hair and increases the density of your hair.
- Using hot oil minimizes the loss of calcium and protein from your hair. Your hair strands are made from the byproduct of bone tissues along with an important protein known as keratin. As you age, the body goes through a loss of calcium and protein which affects the growth of your hair. Using natural oil will deeply nourish your hair and bone tissues which will in turn help absorb calcium and protein to strengthen your root and curb loss of hair.
- Hot oil regulates your sebaceous glands. The skin on the scalp has densely scattered glands called sebaceous glands. These glands are known to produce an oily substance called sebum which is important for hair lubrication. When you perform massage on hair using hot oil, it tends to balance the activity of these glands to maintain an optimum level of oils and natural moisturization.
- It prevents the breakage of hair. Hot oil is popular for repairing hair cuticles to combat the damage to hair and replenish their elasticity. This will in turn prevent them from breaking and curb the problems of split ends. It also brings a lustrous texture to the hair and adds shine to your hair.
- It delays hair greying. When your hair gets an adequate flow of blood and nourishment the hair follicles tend to reactive production of melanin to alleviate grey hair issues and regain the natural color of your hair.
- It supports the life cycle of your hair and helps to increase the volume this stimulating more hair growth. It enhances blood circulation too.
- It helps in balancing doshas and relieving stress. The root cause of hair fall in Ayurveda is believed to be the accumulation of doshas. Due to this all the hair problem occurs but using hot oil in hair helps in relieving mental stress and physical stress. Once you start using it often, you will see that hair loss has stopped and your hair turns amazing.
Now the question arises is it safe to use such treatment? Let’s look for answers.
Although you will notice that hot oil treatments use plant-based products or ingredients, it does not always mean that they are safe for everyone to use. It is still possible for a person to have some adverse reaction to the oil especially for those who have very sensitive skin.
To possibly reduce the risk of any side effect or reaction, you have to look for certain oils that are combined with synthetic ingredients too as they are highly safe and 100% natural on your hair and scalp. If you are not sure whether you should use hot oil treatments and the oil is safe for you for not, try performing a patch test a few days earlier so that you are convinced about it.
To perform a patch test all you have got to do is simply apply a very small amount of hair oil you have chosen, but do not heat it. Apply it on the inside of your elbow. Keep it for a few minutes and notice if any rash or itchiness is developed within 24 hours of using it. If nothing has developed, you can easily use the oil.
If your skin has reacted with that oil, you may try some other oil options until you find a perfect match according to your skin type. If you have decided to use treatment at home, make sure you follow all safety measures and if you have decided to use a store-bought treatment, just follow the instructions given on its label including safety measures.
Is It Right To Use Hot Oil Treatment?
Using hot oil treatments altogether depends upon the hair type you have. If you have brittle, dry, and frizzy hair or you have issues like split ends, using a hot oil treatment could be beneficial for you. Color-treated hair can also be treated with hot oil. By sealing the hair cuticles, hot oil might help in protecting the hair from further damage. You will also receive moisturized hair and hot oil works amazing for natural hair.
If you have a scalp that tends to become oily very soon, you should use an oil that has less fatty oil. Some amazing choices are using Jojoba or almond oil because both these oils tend to absorb very quickly by your scalp. This will help you in preventing an oily residue on the hair and scalp. For hair type that is extremely dry, coconut oil works great because it is comparatively thicker and has moisturizing properties and consistency.
DIY Hot Oil Treatment
If you want to perform a treatment using hot oil at home, we get you. It is extremely affordable and has great benefits. But, before you get started with the treatment, it is very important to decide the type of oil you wish to use. There are some great options that are highly popular nowadays, these are jojoba oil, almond oil, and olive oil. You can also use any oil among argan oil, avocado, or coconut oil. Once you have decided on the oil, all you have got to do is follow these steps and complete your DIY hair treatment at home.
- First, you need to have a good wash for your hair and clean them thoroughly as hot oil works more amazingly for clean hair. This will allow the oil to penetrate deep inside the hair cuticles or follicles.
- Once you have had a good hair wash day, you need to microwave 4 to 6 tablespoons of oil you have chosen in a safe bowl for 10 seconds.
- Once you take it out, make sure to apply some oil on your wrist to check if it is not too hot. After checking, apply the oil slowly on the scalp.
- Make sure you place a towel around your shoulder to protect your clothes. If you wish, you can also apply the oil to damp hair when you are in the shower.
- Run a comb through the hair to make sure there are no knots in the hair.
- Now, apply the oil on your hair thoroughly and evenly and massage it on the scalp.
- Take a shower cap and cover your head with it for nearly 20 minutes.
- After waiting for 20 minutes, rinse the oil out of your hair completely and use any normal conditioner you often use.
Similar to the way you use other treatments for your hair like hair masks, you can do this once every week. If you have extremely dry hair, you can also use it twice a week to receive various benefits this treatment has.
Ready-Made Hot Oil Treatments
If you do not love using DIY packs at home, you may use ready-made hot oil treatments too. There are many options you can choose to get the right product. Some options are available in ready-to-use applicators that you have to heat later while some come in specific amounts to be used for one-time application.
There are numerous hair salons that have offers for hot oil treatments. They will follow quite the same process as DIY treatment just that in the salon you will be placed under the heated lamp.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know all the needed information on hot oil treatment, you must also know that they work amazingly well for natural hair that is brittle, dry, and frizzy in texture. The treatments are great for moisturizing and protecting hair from damage.
Although there are many options available near your local salon to get treatment, you can still choose to perform the treatment at your home itself. The key to getting a brilliant hot oil treatment is to follow all the instructions carefully without damaging your clothes or your scalp with hot oil. You can also consult a dermatologist to find out important facts about your hair that have led to damage in your case, this will help prevent any damage in the future.
This was everything about Hot oil treatment and how you can get it done at home.
If you love applying hair dye to your hair and looking for ways to remove hair dye from the skin, try these useful remedies to get rid of the problem.