A keratin hair treatment is the most popular solution for women with dry, frizzy, damaged, and unmanageable hair. Professional salons are promoting keratin as the go-to treatment. However, to get more familiar with keratin treatment at home, read on to make a well-informed decision.
About Keratin Treatment
Keratin constitutes 91% of our hair but unfortunately due to the excessive impact of hairstyling, use of chemical-based products, heat, and age, the amount of keratin present decreases gradually. As a result of which, over the period your hair becomes dry, coarse, and loses out on the natural shine and gloss that it used to have. There is a remedy to this, keratin hair treatments have become a go-to method.
Keratin treatment adds a layer of protein (keratin) to your protein-depleted hair, thus strengthening them, reducing breakage, making them smooth and manageable. A keratin treatment is a process that adds shine to your hair, removes frizz, and makes your hair healthier than before. It is basically repairing the hair by putting back the lost protein into your strands. Keratin treatment fills in the porous spots of your hair that came off due to the loss of keratin.
Benefits Of Keratin Treatment At Home
A keratin treatment also known as a Brazilian blowout or Brazilian keratin treatment makes your hair smoother, adds intense glossy shine, and can reduce frizz.
You can get done a Keratin Treatment at home or even at a professional salon. The certain benefits of having a keratin treatment are mentioned below:-
- Stimulates hair growth.
- Hair appears glossy, voluminous, and fuller.
- It makes curly hair less frizzy and more manageable.
- Straightens hair and provides a long-lasting result.
- Hairstyling can be easily done.
- Keratin coats your hair strands and protects you from the harmful rays of the sun and other environmental damage.
- Hair is less prone to breakage and damage caused by serums.
- Easily manageable, smooth, and shinier hair.
The benefits of keratin treatment can often vary from person to person. It also depends on the health, condition, and density of your hair.
Types Of Keratin Treatment At Home
There are two types of doing a keratin treatment at home.
- Buy A Keratin Based Product-
You can purchase a keratin treatment product easily available in any retail or online shop. Use the product based on the given instructions and get results.
- Prepare Mask For Keratin Treatment At Home-
You can prepare a homemade mask or pack to get desired keratin treatment at home. Few DIYs are mentioned below which you can follow and get the desired results at home without going to any professional salons.
DIY Keratin Treatment At Home
The best keratin treatment at home can be used to manage damaged, frizzy and dull hair. These homemade protein keratin treatments will help keep your hair frizz-free, smooth, shinier, and manageable.
NOTE: Keratin treatment at home takes many sittings. You have to make sure that you use these treatments every week to get better results and the entire process takes your timely patience.
Given below are some DIY for Keratin Treatment At Home:-
Flaxseed Hair Mask
Flaxseeds are superfoods with an excellent and rich source of protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. It helps to hydrate your dry hair, straightening hair, stimulating hair growth, and eliminating frizzy hair. Vitamin 3 present in flaxseeds improves hair elasticity, boosts hair health and strength. It can also be used as a hair gel.
- Aloe Vera (optional)
Steps to follow:-
- Add all the ingredients together in an equal ratio according to your hair density and length.
- Keep it for a night. The next day grind it well and the structure formed should be gel-like.
- Apply it on your scalp and do not miss out on the lengths. Keep it for 30-45 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and do not forget to apply conditioner.
Banana Avocado Hair Pack
Avocados are rich in vitamins E and C which are very beneficial for hair. Bananas are rich in amino acids which are good for hair that’s showing aging and needs a volume boost. A mixture of these two will boost hair growth and repairs dull hair.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 ripe bananas, totally depending on your hair length
Steps to follow:-
- After peeling the banana, start mashing it and mix it along with the pitted avocado.
- Mix both the ingredients until the mixture formed is evenly textured and consistent.
- Apply the hair pack evenly without missing your ends and pay attention to the damaged parts of your hair.
- Leave on the hair pack for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water and see the amazing results thereafter.
Coconut Milk And Hibiscus Hair Mask
Coconut Milk is rich in protein and the best remedy for dry hair and combining it with hibiscus powder is a game-changer. It helps in the prevention of split-ends and repairs your damaged hair by conditioning them.
- Coconut milk
- Hibiscus powder
- Aloe Vera gel
Steps to follow:-
- Add hibiscus powder to coconut milk.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the above mixture and make a smooth and consistent paste.
- Apply this paste to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
This hair mask will help reduce dryness, repair breakage and give a smooth and shiny finish. Use it at least once a week.
Avocado And Coconut Milk Hair Mask
Avocados are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial which treats dandruff and strengthen your hair. It provides hydration and helps builds the required keratin treatment in your hair. Coconut milk is a great conditioner as it penetrates the hair making it smooth and silky.
- 1 ripe avocado (medium size)
- 2-3 spoon coconut milk
Steps to follow are mentioned below:-
- Mash and stone the avocado with coconut milk until it is pulp and you see no lumps.
- Apply the mask on your hair focusing mainly on the damaged parts.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap (optional).
- Keep it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair with cold water and remove the excess water.
- Blow-dry with a brush.
This DIY is the most effective and easy keratin treatment at home, as both avocado and coconut milk is a rich source of protein for your hair. Apply this hair mask for at least 2 months and you will definitely see improvements in your hair condition.
Honey-Egg Yolk- Almond Oil Hair Pack
This homemade mask is an age-old technique and one of the best keratin treatments at home. Egg yolks are a rich source of proteins and fatty acids which removes dandruff and repairs damaged hair. Almond oil is known for vitamins and minerals and adding honey will add moisture and nourishment to your hair. Together this hair pack will improve your hair health and make it grow thicker and smoother.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
Steps to follow are as given below:-
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl and blend it for 3-4 minutes until you see a consistent paste.
- Apply the hair pack evenly on your hair.
- Leave it for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash your hair with cold water and clean it using a mild shampoo.
- To see instant results apply this hair pack 2 times a week.
How To Use Keratin Treatment At Home (step by step)
Step 1: Shampoo your hair
The first step of any treatment is to wash your hair with a mild shampoo to get clear of the dirt and excessive oil from your hair which will help the treatment to absorb in your hair properly. It is also advisable to not use a conditioner.
Step 2: Towel dry your hair
After washing your hair, gently dry it with a towel but also make sure that you leave behind some moisture so that the product or hair mask can be easily absorbed and applied. Comb your hair and split it into different sections.
Step 3: Apply the keratin treatment and massage thoroughly
Start applying the keratin treatment mask on your hair from the scalp to the ends evenly and do not forget to massage your hair gently for 5-10 minutes. Massage is a very important part of this step.
Step 4: Leave the treatment onto your hair for 30 minutes
After gently massaging your hair for 5-10 minutes, keep the hair mask on for 30-40 minutes. You can even cover it with a shower cap if you need it.
Step 5: Rinse your hair
Rinse your hair thoroughly without using a shampoo and make sure all products are removed from your hair, if not it can cause dandruff.
Step 6: Blow-dry and iron your hair
Blow-dry your hair while brushing and make sure once it is dry you separate your hair into small sections and iron it evenly.
Step 7: Wait for a while
Now it is time to give your hair a break and let it breathe. Keep your hair dry for 2 days. It allows the treatment to set in your hair properly and do wonders for you. Also, make sure you do not tie your hair, keep it straight.
Step 8: Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner
After 48 hours you can shampoo and condition your hair keeping in mind that you should avoid sulfate-free and paraben-free products. Let your hair dry naturally and then see the amazing results.
Best Products For Keratin Treatment At Home (list of best keratin-rich products)
You have already learned about the DIYs that you can do for a keratin treatment at home. Below you will get to know about the list of best products for a keratin treatment at home and you can choose the best keratin hair treatment for yourself!
- TRESemmé Keratin Smooth KERA10 Serum Conditioner
If you need keratin treatment at home daily, you can use TRESemmé Keratin Smooth KERA10 Serum Conditioner. It has keratin and oleo serum that is ideal for dry and frizzy hair. This retains moisture to your hair and helps remove frizzy hair.
- Cream Silk Triple Keratin Rescue Ultimate Repair & Shine Treatment Crème
If you have damaged hair! This product is for you. With each application of Cream Silk Triple Keratin Rescue Ultimate Repair & Shine Treatment Crème, it helps you retain shine to your hair, repair the damages, and tames frizzy hair.
3.TRESemme Keratin Smooth Shine Serum
One of the best-rated products on amazon for a keratin treatment at home. Simply apply the serum on wet hair after dividing your hair into sections and achieve manageable, smooth, and silky hair.
- It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Plus Keratin
One of the best ways to include keratin into your daily routine is to get this keratin spray. Shampoo, condition as regular, and towel dry but include this spray in your hair locks and before you know it! Your hair will be smooth and soft.
- Cream Silk Triple Keratin Rescue Ultimate Repair & Shine Treatment
Adding Cream Silk Triple Keratin Rescue Ultimate Repair & Shine in your hair-repair essentials will help you get healthy and shiny hair. It also helps your strands stay healthy and frizz-free inside out.
How Often Should You Do Keratin Treatment At Home?
A keratin treatment at home lasts between 3 to 4 months. However, you should wait a while before you start applying a new keratin treatment to your hair and let your hair breathe from the complex cycle of keratin treatment because the keratin treatment does involve chemicals, and applying it frequently will do more harm than good. A gap of 2-3 months is ideal for again doing keratin treatment at home.
Tips You Should Follow After Doing A Keratin Treatment At Home
- Use hair products that are sulfate-free and paraben-free because these remove keratin and natural oil from your hair which can cause your keratin treatment at home to wear out sooner than expected.
- Avoid tying your hair (in a ponytail) for at least 2-3 days after getting the keratin treatment at home because keratin is initially malleable and doing so will leave behind dents. It is also recommended that you can soft-tie your hair after few days but do not tie it up for longer periods.
- Avoid using any kind of styling products or heat on your hair.
- You should not wash your hair for at least three days after getting the keratin treatment at home because moisture and water can cause hair strands to lose some of the protein treatment.
- You should start sleeping on a silk pillowcase instead of any other material because it will cause friction while sleep which ultimately leads to frizzy hair and making your treatment short-lived.
Living in an environment that is so polluted and hectic and an unhealthy lifestyle, hair problems are increasing day by day. Instead of getting these treatments at expensive professional salons you’ve learned to get yourself a keratin treatment at home. It’s a natural, effective, and affordable way to get the keratin treatment.