Tea is the most important drink that we require every day. It is a basic necessity of our lifestyle. No matter how tiresome the day is, a cup of tea can always be of relief. But do we have tea just to get rid of tiredness? Truly speaking, not. You can drink tea also to get relief from your sore throat.
Many people are not aware of the fact that sore throat can be easily treated by this simple and easy home technique. In this article, we are going to introduce you to some of the best tea for sore throat. We shall also discuss the benefits that you will obtain from these teas and guide you with their recipes.
What are the benefits of drinking tea when you have a sore throat?
Many teas have medicinal properties that help you in treating various illnesses. Though it cannot cure very serious illnesses, yet it can cure symptoms like a sore throat. Besides traditional medicines, tea can be used as an additional medicine to treat some sort of health problems.
- It is easy to brew, and you don’t have to worry about the side effects of most of the ingredients.
- Unlike medicines, this helps you relax.
- Tea boosts the immune system as a whole.
- You can have 3 to 4 cups of tea without having to worry about adverse effects.
- Tea helps boost energy.
- Tea also aids digestion in times of sickness.
Best tea for sore throat
Over hundreds of years, this tea has been used as a part of herbal medicine. It possesses a light and floral character. Drinking chamomile tea can make you feel better within a couple of seconds. It can act as a medicine for some less serious illnesses. It is also known as the Lullaby herbal tea.
- It contains several healing properties.
- Provides a soothing sore throat.
- Has the ability to calm nerves that can be used as a part of neurological health issues.
- Allows in promoting relaxation.
- Helps in inducing sleep and thus the name Lullaby.
- Helps in the treatment of insomnia.
- The immunity system is boosted by its consumption.
- Cough and cold are drastically cured by chamomile tea.
- Period pains are lessened.
- Helps in the reduction of muscle spasms.
- Aids the stomach ache.
- Enhances the curing process of cuts, wounds, and any other skin conditions.
- Prevents you from getting into stress.
- Acts as an agent for skin lightening.
- Allows the reduction of acne.
- It contains anti-ageing properties and, therefore, maintains the skin quality for a longer period.
The whole chamomile flower head is needed to make the chamomile tea. On brewing, it shows up a bright gold color. Along with that, its natural sweetness is perhaps the best thing about it. For additional and faster results, you can add some drops of honey to it. Finally, it is ready to be enjoyed.
Liquorice root tea
Chinese history and Ayurvedic medicine have witnessed the footprint of the liquorice root. For sore throat and many other illnesses, liquorice acts as an extremely soothing medicine. Liquorice roots encompass antimicrobial and anti-bacterial properties. Thus, tea made from liquorice root is bound to have major benefits. The tea must be sipped at a moderate level or else can have some adverse side effects.
- Helps the body to combat disease.
- Eradicates the existing sore throat causes.
- Imparts a bit of sweet taste due to the presence of liquorice roots.
- Makes the tea tasty.
First, you have to make a liquorice tea blend. This will require you to mix ingredients like liquorice roots, orange peel, cinnamon sticks, dried chamomile flowers, etc., together. You can add other herbs if you so wish. Now boil a cup of water. Add 1 tablespoon of the blend you made, and then let it simmer on the heat for about 30 to 45 minutes. Strain the tea, and it is ready to serve. Alternatively, you can take an adequate amount of the blend, add hot water to it, cover it for 15 minutes and then strain before serving. How you make the tea depends entirely on your taste and doesn’t alter the benefits.
Horehound plants, also known as the eye of the star, are used for this tea. It is bittern tastes with a little bit of mint flavour to it. It is popular in treating coughs and soothing the digestive system. The antispasmodic properties can even go as further as soothing snake bites. Thus this plant is widely used in the makings of spices, essential oils, and of course herbal tea. This makes it one of the best tea for sore throat.
- Treats coughs, even whooping coughs.
- Analgesic effects soothe the pain caused by the cough.
- Treats all kinds of cold and flu symptoms.
- Improves the quality of metabolism in the body.
It can be made both from dried and fresh leaves. So if you have a plant in your garden, you can instantly bring in some horehound leaves and make the tea. The leaves are to be steeped for 5 to 10 minutes in boiling water and that is it. The tea will taste extremely bitter, owing to the properties of the herb. You can add any sweetener you like, like lemon juice or honey.
Slippery elm tea
Slippery elm is a native to North America. The inner bark can soothe sore throat even when chewed. This inner bark contains chemicals that help increase mucous secretion. It also contains soluble fibres and calcium. It has been long used in the making of herbal medicines and is one of the key ingredients in the making of herbal tea. It is classified as a botanical drug and best suited for sore throats. You have to try this if you are looking for the best tea for sore throat.
- Treats inflamed digestive conditions
- Soothes coughs, and the pain caused by the cough
- Gets rid of symptoms of cold
For this, you need the powdered form of the bard of slippery elm. Boil some water and then take this boiling water to a cup and add some powdered bark to it. Stir the mixture well, and your tea is prepared. The taste is not fit for direct consumption for most people, so you can add any sweetener. Moreover, you can add milk or coconut milk as per your choice. Cinnamon and nutmeg go well with this tea and can help increase the benefits.
It is a staple herbal medicine. It has its origin in the Western world. Turmeric tea possesses several health benefits. The secret to the success of turmeric is that it contains a special component named curcumin. Curcumin is found to have some extended beneficial properties in human health. A bright yellow-orange colour is delivered to the tea.
- Contains antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial properties.
- Provides relief to the sore throat.
- Imparts a slightly spicy taste.
- Helps in the improvement of heart disease.
- Prevents the spread of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Various degenerative conditions can be controlled.
- Increases the capacity of antioxidants in the body.
- Boosts the brain-derived neurotrophic factor.
- Helps in reducing the spread of cancer cells in the body.
- Arthritis patients are suggested to intake turmeric tea.
- Helps in treating depression.
- Delays the time of skin ageing and also combats other age-related chronic diseases.
Turmeric tea can be made easily at home with the ingredients that are already in your kitchen. Boil the amount of water required. To this boiling water, add two tablespoons of turmeric and then stit it well. After the turmeric has diluted, let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. The tea is now ready. You don’t need tea leaves for this. Strain the tea into a cup or a mug. Now, tea made with only turmeric would not taste well. You can add honey, lemon, orange, or milk according to what suits you best.
One of the best tea for sore throat is green tea. It has gained worldwide fame because of its positive impacts on human health. Green tea is a very rich source of antioxidants. It also contains natural anti-inflammatory properties. It contains healthy bioactive compounds.
- Gargling green tea helps in relieving a sore throat.
- Overall improvement of healing can be done by consumption of green tea.
- Helps in the development of the overall functioning of the body.
- Helps in the better functioning of the brain.
- The presence of antioxidants lowers the risk of cancer.
- Protect the brain from ageing.
- Cardiovascular diseases can be cured by the consumption of green tea.
- Promotes the burning of calories in your body.
Procedure for gargling
First of all, you need to brew a cup of green tea. Then, do not take it when it is extremely hot. Allow it to cool down to a comfortable temperature. Gargle with it for a minute at least. Then, spit it out. This process can be repeated 2-3 times according to requirement.
Heat water in a container in high heat. Once it reaches the boiling point, turn off the heat and then add the green tea leaves. Keep the container covered for a minute or two. Now strain the tea, and it is ready to serve. You can add honey for sweetening, but you can drink it as it is as well.
This herb has its origin in Europe and Asia. Peppermint tea is an extremely common herbal medicine with several health benefits. The presence of menthol supports the beneficial effects of peppermint tea. It is a good idea to have this tea before going to bed, Peppermint tea contains various types of caffeinated blends.
- Due to the presence of menthol, it delivers soothing and cooling properties.
- Has the ability to aid in digestion.
- Ease the symptoms of a sore throat on the consumption of a fresh cup of this tea.
- Provides relief from headaches.
- Helps in getting rid of nasal congestion.
- Lessens the pain of menstrual cramps.
- Promotes the production of energy in your body.
Add water to the pot according to the amount you want to consume. After boiling the water, add four to five peppermint leaves to the water by tearing them. Cover the pot for a while. After 5 to 6 minutes, strain the tea into the glass.
When it comes to sore throats, lemon tea needs no added introduction. It has been used for ages as a home remedy for being the best tea for sore throat. Besides, as a beverage, this is delicious and can be served both hot and iced. Once you know the basics of this tea, you can experiment freely with it, adding fruits, syrups, or even liquor. There are also certain side effects related to the consumption of excessive quantities of lemon tea. You must know them all before consumption.
- Supports the immune system and lowers blood pressure.
- Treats inflammation due to cold and soreness of throat.
- The antioxidants help relieve the pain and discomfort.
- Allows the promotion of hydration in the body.
- Weight loss is supported by its consumption.
- Contains anti-cancer properties that help in stopping the spread of cancer cells in the body.
- Promotes the improvement of heart health.
- Boosts mental health.
- Helps in the regulation of blood sugar level.
- Post-operative swelling is treated by its consumption.
- Promotes detoxification in the body.
- Enhances skin health.
Boil 1 cup of water and then put it in a mug. Take a black tea bag. It can also have any flavour you like, given it will go well with the lemon. Remove it after 3-4 minutes. If you want to have lemon tea without any actual tea, then skip steeping the teabag. Add the lemon juice to the tea and then honey. Stir the honey well till it is completely mixed. As an additional garnish and also so you don’t lose the flavour, you can add an extra slice of lemon to the tea.
Marshmallow root tea
Marshmallow root has been used for centuries to treat skin, respiratory and digestive diseases. The mucilage it contains gives it healing powers. Other than making tea, you can also consume it in capsule or tincture form. It is used by many for its properties of calming the nervous system.
- Relieves coughs caused by cold or bronchitis.
- Acts as an enzyme and helps in loosening mucous.
- Heals the wound, thus acting wonders for sore throat.
- Helps in the reduction of skin irritation.
- Overall, skin health is promoted by its consumption.
- Acts a reliever of pain.
- Also, work as a diuretic.
- Helps in the repairing of the gut lining.
- Heart health is improved by its consumption.
Boil water. Add marshmallow to this boiling water and keep boiling the mixture. You will need to add marshmallow root that is properly cut and sifted. The mixture is to be simmered for about 20 minutes. Remove it from the heat, strain the contents, and it is then ready to serve. It can be sweetened by the addition of any sweeter before serving.
A caffeinated cup of black tea stands out as to game-changer for you. The presence of tannin in black tea is beneficial for human health. Black tea, like green tea, can also be used for gargling purposes. It is one of the best tea for sore throat.
- Helps in getting rid of dizziness.
- Promotes energy growth in your body.
- It contains some anti-cancer effects.
- The metabolism rate is developed by its consumption.
- Helps in improving heart health.
- Gut health is also enhanced by its consumption.
- On consumption during headache, it is capable of comforting you.
- The compound tannin helps in the reduction of inflammation.
- Sore throat pain is relieved by its consumption.
- Gargling black tea provides comfort to the throat.
Boil the water. Wait until the water is heavily boiling. Take the tea in a cup and then pour this boiling hot water on top of the teabag. Leave the tea to get brewed. Remove the teabag and then strain it to remove the excess leaves that may be present.
This is maybe the first ingredient that comes to mind when thinking of teas to have when you have a sore throat, and so definitely the best tea for sore throat. It can immensely help towards healing the symptoms of a sore throat. The best part about this is you can consume this at any time of the day. You can add to it fresh lemon or honey, or get some flavoured tea bag. It contains gingerol that acts as a powerful medicine.
- Antibacterial and also anti-inflammatory.
- Will fight the cause of the sore throat at the root.
- Helps in the reduction of heartburn.
- Improves the flow of blood circulation in the body.
- Supports the immune system.
- Relieves you from headaches and migraines.
- Capable of lessening the pain caused by osteoarthritis.
- Chronic indigestion can be treated by its consumption.
- Helps in reducing menstrual pain.
- Promotes the reduction of cholesterol levels in the body.
- Fights against the spread of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Having anti-nauseating properties, it will rid the body of discomforts.
You can make this easily at home. You will have to peel the raw ginger and take 4 to 6 slices of its minimum. You can add more if you want to make it stronger. Fill a cup with approximately 2 cups of water and add the ginger slices. Now let it boil for 10 to 20 minutes. You can have it without milk, adding a little lemon or honey as per your taste or have it with milk.
This is the perfect cold remedy and the best tea for sore throat. There is nothing better to warm your body and provide relief to your throat than to drink a nice hot cup of honey lemon tea. Although a great recipe for adults, keep in mind that it is not suitable for children under 18 months old.
- Treats congestion and soothes the throat.
- The body gets detoxified by its consumption.
- Increases overall immunity and helps with the cold.
- Vitamin C helps battle cold.
- Fights against flu.
- Helps in improving the metabolism.
- Help lose excess body fat.
- Capable of cleansing the body.
You can either add tea to this or not. Just using the ingredients will also work fine. Boil the amount of water required. Now pour the boiling water into a cup or a mug. Add the amount of lemon juice required. Now add honey and stir the mixture well so that all of the honey gets diluted. Add additional hot water, or lemon, or honey to change the taste according to your preference.
Cinnamon is an incredibly tasty spice. Hence, cinnamon tea is also a very good option for the best tea for sore throat. It is loaded with antioxidants. Cinnamon tea is made from the inner bark of the cinnamon tree. It has several health benefits.
- Helps in the reduction of blood sugar levels.
- Enables in lowering inflammation.
- It also helps in the improvement of heart health.
- Promotes the burning of calories in your body.
- Combats the attack of bacteria and fungi.
- Helps in reducing the pain of menstrual cramps and other symptoms of PMS.
- Helps in the preservation of brain function.
- Helps to fight HIV.
- It also has anti-cancer properties.
- Capable of stopping faster ageing of the skin.
It is a very easy and simple tea that can be added to your diet. It can be drunk, both cold or warm or adding ice. Simply add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the already boiled water. Then stir it slowly. You can also add a cinnamon stick to the water and let the water boil for 10-15 minutes.
Tea has always served as one of the most important beverages throughout the world. Several types of tea serve you for several purposes. Sore throat is a very common problem faced by many people now or then. Knowing a home remedy for that is extremely crucial. Moreover, when it is the tea that can help you get rid of such problems, then you must be fully aware of them. Now that you know what is the best tea for sore throat, you can choose your favourite. We hope that our article will prove to be beneficial for you and you will not face the need to browse further.