Best Dog Nail Grinder – Simply taking your dog for a walk and feeding them at the right time is not enough. Grooming is an essential part of taking care of your furry friends. Grooming is not just limited to weekly baths and haircuts. Taking care of your dog’s nails is equally essential too for their ease and safety. It is not only a safe practice for them but also for their owners. More often than not, due to their long nails, dogs end up inflicting injuries on both themselves and their owners. Long claws also restrict your dog’s balance and create a barrier for them to go on with their daily activities.
There are a lot of ways by which you can take care of your four-legged friends’ nails. Taking your dog to a pet salon every once in a while is neither practical nor financially feasible. In such a case, keeping a few grooming tools at home is always a good idea.
The most popular forms of nail grooming are trimming and grinding. While trimming works perfectly if your dog has short and thin nails, to cut long and hardened nails, using a nail grinder is a better option. It is also difficult to know whether the claws end and the quick begins when your dog has dark and hardened claws.
Grinders are a tool very similar to a Dremel. Nail grinders make for an intelligent one-time investment. There are grinders explicitly made from different breeds of dogs available in the market. Usually, the main parameter of differentiation is the size of the dogs. Dogs of smaller sizes have comparatively softer nails than bigger ones. For making the process even more convenient, the best nail grinders 2021 also come with multiple attachments.
Using a grinder is a good idea for dogs that hate getting their nails trimmed. While trimmers are faster to use, a lot of times, they end up hurting the dog’s paws too. It isn’t easy to figure out where the nail ends and the foot begins. There is always a risk of damaging the delicate nerve of the hoof when using a nail trimmer.
Once your dog gets over the initial fear of looking at the moving tool, the grinder is the safest and the most precise means to use. Nail grinders are available in a variety of price ranges and come with different levels of technological features. Some of these features include automatic pausing of the machine for heat control and multiple rotary heads, to name a few. These grinders usually either require batteries or need to be charged before use and come with speed settings.
Nail grinders are better than trimmers because they give a smoother finish to your dog’s nails. With practice, you as a dog owner can save up on a lot of money and time by giving your dogs a trim at the comfort of your homes.
In this article, we shall provide you with a detailed description of everything you need to know about the best dog nail grinders fully equipped with a buyer’s guide, product reviews, technique, and their benefits.
Buyer’s Guide – Best Dog Nail Grinders
With advances in technology and increasing attention given to every need of your pets, there are many options available in the market for grooming a dog’s nails. A method that has increasingly become popular among dog owners is using a nail grinder. There are many types of grinders available that one can choose from. Here is a buyer’s guide you should go through before selecting the best dog nail grinder on Amazon.
#1 Price range
The most significant factor in cutting your dog’s nails at home is reducing the expenditure it causes. Therefore, comparing different models not just for their features but also for the price tag is essential. It is advisable to invest in one after careful consideration. Only because a grinder is heavily priced, it cannot vouch for its quality.
#2 Noise Levels
Dogs tend to get frightened by nail grinders owing to the noise it makes while shortening their nails. Suppose your dog tends to get restless easily and is easily affected by unfamiliar noises. In that case, it is advisable to invest in a grinder that has noise cancellation features or makes the minimum noise. The less noisy the tool, the easier it becomes to groom your dogs.
#3 Safety Level
Nail grinding, as a procedure, takes longer than trimming. Because the machine heats up after a specific time, one needs to pause every once a while before the entire process finishes. It is essential to check whether or not the product comes with safety guards in such a case. You do not want your restless furry friends to hurt themselves while getting their nails cut.
#4 Number of attachments available
Most grinders come with various rotary heads to ensure the perfect claws grooming for your pup. Selecting a grinder with multiple attachments is advantageous as it ensures you trim your dog’s nails with utmost precision.
#5 Speed Settings
Nail grinders give you the flexibility to select the speed of their rotary heads. Extremely thick nails would require a higher speed in comparison to softer ones. Grinders that come with multiple speed options come in handy when you have more than one dog at home. The smaller one would benefit from a lower setting, and the bigger one would expect from the higher one.
Why Choose Nail Grinders over Trimmers?
Trimmers are pocket-friendly. They work exactly like human nail cutters. Then why should do dog owners today prefer a nail grinder over a nail trimmer?
Here’s a list of reason why-
#1 The precision level with a grinder is higher. Since one has to pause between the process, there is very little chance of hurting your pooch.
#2 If your dog has thick nails, using a grinder is better than using a trimmer. The powerful speed settings of a nail grinder ensure the shortening of your dog’s thick nails without hurting them.
8 Best Dog Nail Grinders with Review
|Oster Professional Corded Nail Grinder Kit with Variable Speed|
The Professional Corded Nail Grinder kit by Oster is the tool you need to take good care of your pet’s grooming. This product boasts of excellent reviews from previous users. This nail grinder set can help in making the tedious process of grooming your pet easier. It ensures that you and your pet both find it easier to take good care of your pet’s nails.
A good nail grinder is also helpful when you cannot frequently take time out to get your pet to the groomers and have them cleaned up and trimmed by professionals. It is noiseless and helps in keeping your pet calm during the process of cutting the nails.
The corded nail grinder from Oster gives precise results and comes with an instruction manual alongside 60-grit and 100-grit grooming bands, each two in number; a power supply; a grinding stone as well as a grooming drum.
The product is comfortable and safe to use. You can be carefree about trimming any excess, and you can control the speed according to your needs. Users have praised the results, and their pets are comfortable with it.
- It’s very safe and harmless.
- It works seamlessly on even tough, challenging, and large nails of the big dogs.
- It is noiseless and keeps your pet calm.
- It acts with precision and gives the desired results.
- This tool has a beautiful design with easy to hold grips that again adds to the safety factor,
- It saves a lot of money in the long run since trims to the pet groomer become less frequent.
- It works for a long time and requires minimal maintenance.
- The tool is light in weight.
- You can use this tool on all breeds since the speed is adjustable according to the requirements.
- It has a variety of drums and bands of different sizes.
- It gives you complete control over the process of grinding the nails of your pet.
- It has a fragile cord that comes off as not very well made.
- The power supply is heavy and bulky.
- It leaves a lot of dust.
|Cordless Pet Dog Nail Grinding And Grooming Tool by Dremel|
|Product Material||High-Density Plastic with NiCd batteries|
A cordless pet grooming tool is one of the necessities that come with owning a pet. Going to the groomers to trim or grind the nails all the time can be expensive and tedious. The Dremel Cordless Dog Nail Grinding And Grooming tool are safe, effective, and much better than clippers. It is quick and gentle, which helps make the process of grooming easier for both you and your pet.
You can get perfect and precise results. It has excellent effects, is easy to use, and is fast. The tool is readily available and is loved by its previous users. This tool is fantastic in shaping and filing your pet’s nails gently without taking much of your time.
It is powered by batteries that are easy to charge and is cordless and a lot easier to use. It uses a sanding drum of 60 grit. You can recharge it without much trouble. It is safe, harmless and it is one of the most humane tools in the market to trim and file nails of your pet.
- It isn’t deafening, and this feature helps with the pet getting used to the process and keeping it calm.
- If you charge it fully before use, you can expect to trim and file your pet’s nails without any hiccups.
- One can rest assured that the process is cruelty-free, painless, and safer than most other tools.
- It has a two-year warranty.
- It comes with four replacement bands.
- The battery gets charged in three hours and lasts for a long time.
- It is cordless and thus easier to use.
- The speed can be adjusted according to your needs.
- It is lightweight, and it, therefore, can be adequately controlled.
- The instruction manual came across as vague and difficult to decipher for many users. You may need to refer to a lot of videos and articles on the internet to assemble the product correctly.
- Owners of breeds that have long hair find it difficult to work with the tool. The Dremel Nail Grinding tool can be painful for such dogs.
|Dog And Cat Professional Nail Grinder by ConairPro|
This dog and cat nail grinder by ConairPro is a safer and more accessible tool than cutting the nails of your pets. It has a rotating attachment that helps in filing the nails and giving them good shape, and trimming them properly. It is very beneficial for anxious dogs since it isn’t loud and it works noiselessly.
It is lightweight and powerful, and thus it works very efficiently. It quickly trims the nails without making the process long and complicated. It comes with various attachments that can be changed easily according to your needs. It includes a lot of extensions added to the nail grinder. They are:
- Safety guard
- Attachment tool
- Corded grinder
- Replacement band
- Replacement stones
The device is straightforward to use and has simple settings that are understandable. All the users have loved the product, and it has been beneficial for many dog owners. It primarily works well with the smaller dogs and quickly shapes the nails with the least amount of hassle. This also works well with Dremel attachments and tools, and hence you could use the tools that are already lying around your house. Since it has a chord, you do not have to worry about charging the device multiple times. If used with the correct attachment, it can file and trim the nail of dogs from any breed.
- It is safe and comes with two interchangeable finishing stones and four grinding bands.
- It is helpful for dogs and cats of all sizes and all breeds.
- It is quiet that makes it easy to be used on anxious dogs.
- It is high quality and durable.
- It is affordable and harmless.
- It is corded and thus doesn’t require changing of batteries.
- The cord is long, and that can be of use to you.
- It is lightweight and compact in shape.
- It has an adjustable protective cover.
- The safety guard is handy.
- It takes longer for some of the bigger pets.
- It is very slow and doesn’t work well for impatient pets.
- The product doesn’t have sound energy output.
- It gets caught in the hair of your dog if it has long hair.
|Hertzko Electric Dog Nail Grinder|
This product can be used for grooming the paws, trimming, smoothing, filing, and shaping the nails of dogs of all sizes and breeds, rabbits, cats, and birds. It is safer and better to use than clippers that tend to be dangerous for your pets. It comes with a silent motor that allows you to trim your pet’s nails without much noise and havoc.
It has a diamond stone material bit, which makes the process quicker and safer. It will also be helpful to trim the nails efficiently. It stays charged for long periods and works well with anxious dogs. It works excellently in smoothing and filing the nails after regular nail cuts.
The product is compact and adorable, and once the pet gets used to the minimal sound and vibration, it is likely to be cooperative. Most users found that their pets sat through the process with ease if they were provided a minimal distraction.
This tool has been helpful for pet owners of all kinds and has actually worked on birds, cats and rabbits too. Most users were extremely pleased by the product and loved the results from using this simple nail grinding tool.
- It is rechargeable and comes with a USB wire.
- It is portable and easy to carry.
- It doesn’t scare your pet.
- Most pets feel comfortable around this device.
- It ensures that excess is not cut and that the nails are trimmed safely.
- It has low vibration properties.
- You can adjust the speed and intensity of the device according to your requirements.
- This device can be used on rabbits, birds, cats, and all breeds of dogs.
- The nail grinder stone can be detached from the device easily, and thus it can be adequately cleaned.
- It is a painless method.
- It is cheaper than getting the nails clipped from the groomers.
- It is not recommended for impatient pets since it can take a lot of time to trim the nails.
- It doesn’t work well on thicker and longer nails of the larger breeds.
- The file is not sharp enough.
|Electric Dog/Pet Nail Grinder by Casfuy|
|Batteries Required||3 AAA Batteries|
|Amazon Ratings||4.8 out of 5 stars|
Cusfuy’s Nail Grinder for Dogs comes with features that make it one of the Best Dog Nail Grinders.
Pets tend to feel anxious about the loud noises that some nail grinders tend to make, but Casfuy’s Nail Grinder only lets out a very low vibration, thanks to its superior motor. The Whisper Quiet Technology makes sure that the pet and the pet parent have a happy nail grinding session.
It has a lightweight body design that makes it fitting to use while handling impatient or anxious pets.
What truly makes this product the best Dog Nail Grinder 2021 is its LED light feature. The 2 LED Light system throws sharp beams of light at the nail being worked on to make sure that there is no over-grinding and the grinder does not get too close to the dog’s quick. The mechanism works for cats as well.
Another thing that makes it great for cats is that the device comes with 3 Grinding Ports – Small, Medium, and Large, making sure that it works on pets of all sizes, from small cats to large dogs. It also has an adjustable 2-speed switch which allows you to regulate the speed according to personal needs. The standard rate is for small cats or dogs with tender paws and nails, and the high speed is for animals with nails that are thicker with a harder quick.
The device requires 3 AAA batteries. One can recharge with a USB cable – A 3-hour charge will last it for 2 hours.
A diamond bit grinder makes sure the session is fast and effective, and the power has also been boosted to 20%, which adds to the effectiveness of the product.
- The best Dog Nail Grinder 2021 has 2 LED lights that help see the nail’s quick and avoiding injuries.
- The power has been given a 20% boost, and its Diamond Bit Grinder makes nail grinding faster and more efficient.
- The range of sizes the product comes with makes it easier to use on animals of different sizes.
- A 2-speed setting gives more control over the way the nail is being ground.
- It allows USB charging, which is very convenient.
- Very fast.
- The product doesn’t come with additional accessories apart from the USB cable.
|Dog / Pet Nail Grinder by MIROCOO|
|Batteries Required||1 Lithium ion battery|
|Amazon Ratings||4.7 out of 5 stars|
One of the Best Dog Nail Grinders, Mirocco’s pet nail grinder runs on a rechargeable lithium battery, which lasts for 3 hours after a 3-hour charge. It is very portable; one can charge it using electronic devices such as power banks, AC adapters, computers, car chargers, and many others; using the USB cable that comes with it.
The nail grinder is easy to use and has features that ensure the pet owner has complete control over the process and can manipulate the settings according to their and their pet’s needs.
The product comes with three grinding ports and a 2-speed setting, making it an excellent choice for animals of all sizes and nail quality. One can choose from its different features and use the best option for their small, medium, or large pets. The 2-speed motor uses an 8000 RPM (revolutions per minute) motor speed, ensuring a quick and efficient grind.
Pets get scared of the loud sounds produced by some nail grinders, but this product makes a sound that is less than 50DB. It uses a super silent motor that makes sure the pets do not feel anxious and nervous when the device is switched on. The product’s low sound feature ensures a healthy nail grinding experience for both the pet and the owner.
One of the best Dog Nail Grinders, this product will ensure a happy experience, and one would not feel the need to visit a salon to take care of their pet nails again.
- It has three grinding ports that one can use on pets of various sizes.
- The 2-speed setting will give more control over the nail grinding session.
- All settings are adjustable, which will help pet owners to choose the best option for their pets.
- Low vibration will make sure the pets do not get scared.
- A better alternative to nail clippers.
- Fast and efficient.
- Very safe.
- It comes with a manual to help out pet parents.
- The product does not come with a LED light which helps the owner be more careful when grinding their pet’s nails as it helps them locate the nail’s quick and not over grind to avoid any accidents. The fact that the product does not come with a LED light can make the nail grinding experience a little clumsy.
|Pet Nail Grinder by URPOWER|
|Batteries Required||2 AAA Batteries|
|Amazon Ratings||3.9 out of 5 stars|
URPOWER’S pet nail grinder is one of the Best Dog Nail Grinders that will help you transition from taking your pets to get professionally groomed to doing it yourself in the comfort of your own home. It is easy to use and has features that make sure that grinding your pet’s nails is a hassle-free, healthy, and safe task.
It has a diamond grinding stone for grinding. It makes working on nails a lot easier, making it a healthier alternative to nail clippers.
Cleaning the product is very easy as well. The safeguard cap and the nail grinding stone need to be removed, then wiped with a damp cloth. The removal of the safeguard cap and the nail grinding stone is easy to do as well.
The product is rechargeable by USB and can be used for over 3 three hours once it has been fully charged. It has a light that indicates the amount, making it more convenient—especially more convenient than having to replace the batteries regularly.
The product makes sure the pets do not get scared or anxious by using a super silent motor, as loud noise produced by nail grinders can prove traumatic for the pets and make their nail grooming experience unhealthy. This product makes sure the experience is calmer by creating a low vibration instead.
The nail grinder has three ports of different sizes. This feature makes sure that the product can be used on pets of all sizes-small, medium, large, and pets having various nail qualities. The owner can use the most suitable one for their pet to get a better and more efficient result.
- It comes with three different ports, making it suitable for pets of all sizes.
- It is rechargeable by USB.
- The product has a light to indicate the amount of charge.
- Very easy to clean.
- It does not produce a loud noise which makes it safe for pets.
- The product also comes with a manual.
- The product has a sleek design which will also look good on one’s tabletop.
- The product does not have an adjustable speed.
- It does not come with LED lights to make the experience healthier. This can make the product clumsy to use.
- It can be a bit slow.
- The power can be a little less.
|Dog Nail Grinder by USEELAND|
|Product Colour||White and Turquoise|
|Batteries Required||One large battery|
|Amazon Ratings||4.4 out of 5 stars|
USEELAND’s Dog Nail Grinder is an excellent choice for a dog nail grinder because of its easy-to-use features, efficiency, and the accessories that come with it. It is truly one of the Best Dog Nail Grinders on Amazon.
The nail grinder has a Diamond bit grinder which gives your pets a comfortable nail grinding experience due to its efficiency and smoothness.
The grinder comes with three ports which makes it suitable for pets of all sizes. The option of having three ports makes it great not only because it can be used on small cats and large dogs alike, but because it can also be used on nails of different sizes and quality. Based on the hardness of the nail, one can choose which port to use.
They also have a speed-changing setting which again makes it great for pets with different sized nails. The lower speed can be used for pets with more tender nails, and the higher rate can be used for pets with harder nails.
The product eliminates the need to charge the product before every use as it uses a large battery that can be used for 20 hours. The battery increases its efficiency by providing a USB cable for recharging the device.
The product also produces a low sound, making sure the pets do not get scared while their nails are being groomed. Pets tend to be afraid of the loud noise a lot of nail grinders tend to produce. This product eliminates that fear and ensures that the pet has a calmer and healthier nail grinding experience.
The nail grinder comes with different accessories like the nail clipper and manual nail filer.
This is perfect as many pet parents prefer to clip their pets’ nails manually first and then use the nail grinder as they feel like it does the job easier and faster. Having all the accessories together, buying this product eliminates the need for purchasing additional products and saves time, making it the Best Dog Nail Grinders on Amazon.
- The product comes with many different accessories while being of the same price as other good grinders, which do not provide additional accessories.
- The battery has a 20-hour work time.
- It comes with three ports which makes the product great for pets of all sizes.
- The product comes with an easy-to-use speed-changing setting.
- Very safe and efficient.
- It does not have light to make sure the nail does not get overground.
Benefits of Using the Best Dog Nail Grinder
Trimming your pooch’s nails can seem like a daunting task at home. It can get exceptionally tricky when you do not own the right equipment for the job. While using a nail trimmer might seem like the easiest way to groom your dog, nail grinders are better for your dog’s safety.
Here is a list of benefits using a dog nail grinder provides for both the dog and the owner-
- Unlike traditional nail trimmers, nail grinders do not leave any sharp edges to your dog’s nails. This means lesser scratches the next time your dog jumps on you!
- The chances of hitting the quick are incredibly high when you use a nail clipper or trimmer. Hence, achieving a close cut is very difficult with them. Since nail grinders use a sandpaper-like material in the rotary head, you can cut your dog’s nails as short as you like without the fear of hurting them.
- Since grinders allow you the benefit of a close cut, it reduces the number of times you need to take care of your dog’s nails. The process that usually needs to be undertaken every month can now be conducted after a longer duration.
- It is easy to even out hard nails with the best dog nail grinder. The same is difficult to achieve with a trimmer.
- A nail grinder is a solution you have been looking for in case your dog hates nail trimmers. Once your dog gets over the unfamiliar noise it makes, dogs are more comfortable with a grinder in most cases.
- They save you costly trips to a professional groomer once a month. A nail grinder should be considered a one-time investment. They help you save the added expenditure going to a pet salon creates.
- It is an entirely painless procedure. A clipper can sometimes hurt the dog because of its sharp edges. The grinder has smooth sandpaper on top-this reduces the chances of hurting your dog.
How to Clip your Dog’s Nails?
Not even the most obedient of the dogs enjoy a grooming session. So, should this mean you as a dog owner should forego this vital part of owning a pet? The answer is a definite No. Taking care of your dog’s nails is essential both for their hygiene and health.
You do not need to be a certified groomer to cut your dog’s nails. With the right equipment in hand and patience, you can carry out the entire process at your surroundings’ convenience.
Here is a step by step guide on how to grind your canine friends’ nails using the Best dog nail grinders 2021 with the least trouble-
Step 1 – If you are using a chargeable nail grinder, charge the tool in advance to allow yourself the ease of movement while grooming your dog.
Step 2 – The first thing to do is keep your trimmer and treat handy. Calming your dog down and acclimatizing them to this foreign gadget is the most crucial step before you can begin grooming their nails.
Step 3 – Seat your dog in his favorite spot in the house and turn the grinder on and gently touch your dog’s paws with the grinder. Let your dog get comfortable with the sound of the grinder before you start trimming.
Step 4 – Locate the soft spot or the quick as it is called, in your dog’s paws before you start grinding the nails. Quick is that spot in the dog’s feet that is immediately behind the nail. They contain nerve endings and are very sensitive. They supply blood to the nails. You want to identify this spot before you start grooming so as not to hurt your dog there.
Step 5 – Start working from the tiniest nail and start the grinding process using a bottom-to-top motion. Take breaks while grinding. Do not attempt the entire process at once as the machine heats up. Also, maintain a firm grip on your dog’s paw the whole time to avoid any mishap.
Step 6 – When you are done grinding the nails to your choice’s length, rotate the grinder in circular motions to smoothen the claws out. This will ensure that your dog can move freely after the grooming.
Step 7 – Repeat the same process with all the nails and treat your dog with a treat at the end!
The rotating tops are replaceable, and you can replace them after 3-4 sessions or depending upon your usage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1 Should I soak my dog’s nails before grinding them?
Soaking is an optional prerequisite. A dog’s nails are made from protein making them hard and thick. If your pooch has thick nails and is sensitive to the whole nail trimming procedure, soaking them in warm water is advisable. This will ensure a fuss-free grooming session for both you and your pooch.
Q2 Is it safe to use a nail grinder on your dog?
The best nail grinders are comparatively safer to use than nail clippers. Nail clippers usually have a sharp edge and are prone to cutting into the dog’s skin if not used properly. If not used properly, they end up hurting your dog’s paws. Nail grinders are safer. The grinder is usually made either from stainless steel or diamond bits. This allows you the most accurate precision. The only reason why it scares your dog is that the head moves and makes an unfamiliar noise. Apart from this, a nail grinder is your safest bet with your dogs as they come with a safety guard which ensures you neither hurt your dog nor yourself while cutting their nails.
Q3 Which is better to use- a nail clipper or a nail grinder?
Using a nail grinder ensures that the nails are cut to the best possible length without hurting the dog’s soft spot. A grinder ensures a smoother finish to your dog’s nails. They leave behind no splits and splinters. They are also completely pain-free to use. This makes them better to use on your dogs than nail clippers.
Q4 How often should you groom your dog’s nails?
The time period after which your should groom your dog’s nails depends upon the quality of your dog’s nails. If your dog has hard nails that tend to get unruly in a short span of time, you will need to groom them faster. Ideally, 2-3 times a month is sufficient.
Q5 What is the difference between an expensive nail grinder and a relatively cheaper one?
Grinders should be considered as a one-time investment. A higher price point brings with itself additional features in the form of power settings, high-quality rotary heads, and a warranty-guarantee policy. When you purchase a nail grinder from a credible source, it ensures that the product has policies like a refund guarantee and after-sales service. Hence it is better to invest in one that is manufactured by a reputable brand. Cheaper versions are highly prone to stop working after a while.
Owning a pet comes with a lot of responsibilities. You have to care for them like you would for a baby. For your four-legged friend to live a happy and comfortable life, it is important for you as a pet owner to take utmost care of their health and hygiene. A nail grinder should be an essential tool in your dog grooming kit. Carefully manicured nails ensure that your dog can carry out its day-to-day activities conveniently.
One cannot overemphasize the importance of taking the right care of your dogs. A happy pooch equals a happy owner. Your dog will thank you for minimizing the irritability that the whole nail trimming process causes. Nail grinders are a blessing in disguise for your pets. They are pain-free, easy to use, and easy to manage. With a little practice, you can use one like a professional dog nail grinder yourself.
The article has been designed keeping in mind the confusion a pet owner has in his mind when deciding the best practices for their dogs. We have included everything that one should know to take care of your dog’s nails. Everything ranging from the technique to its advantages to steps has been listed for your convenience. The further mentioning of the best products and their reviews will ensure that you not only know how to grind your dog’s nails but also know which tools to buy for the same.