Table of Contents
Nowadays, many people induce vomiting whenever they accidentally ate something harmful, unusual, or toxic substance. Induce vomiting gives them a kind of relief in this situation. It may also give a confirmation that the danger and uneasiness are now eliminated from the stomach. But does that really happen? Is it really safe for your health? Well, probably not.
It might be a relief for some time but keep in mind that the risk of getting other complications is also high. So, if you are also wondering how to induce vomiting, this is the perfect place for you.
In this article, we are going to discuss every essential thing about induce vomiting. Keep reading…
What Exactly Drives Us To Induce Vomiting?
There might be many reasons to induce vomiting. For example, when someone has ingested poison or any other harmful toxic substance.
Another reason is eating disorders. In a research, it was found that many people who induce vomiting are the ones who are trying to take control of their eating habits or trying to reduce weight. Whenever they eat something out of their diet and feel guilty about that, they choose to induce vomiting. But, in a long run, this can be very harmful to the body. If you find out that you are suffering from eating disorders, don’t ignore it or be ashamed of it. Go and take professional help for your wellness.
You may also have thought about how to induce vomiting, right? Currently, there are many ways that people use to induce vomiting. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Ipecac Syrup – This syrup has been kept by most of the grandmas and chances are your’s may have it too. However, it was used to empty a child’s stomach when he/she eat something poisonous. But by inducing vomiting there is no guarantee that all ingested poison will come out. In fact, it may create problems in the throat or mouth. Big organizations like Poison Control and the American Academy of Pediatrics have clearly advised not to use Ipecac Syrup.
- With The Use Of Fingers – Another most common technique to induce vomiting is taking the help of the index and middle finger. When the fingers are put in the mouth and touch the throat, induce vomiting takes place.
- Gargling – Gargling with warm water also helps induce vomiting.
But Wait, Should You Really Induce Vomiting? Is It Even Safe For Your Health?
The straight answer to this question is – NO. You should never take the decision on your own to induce vomiting.
You have to understand that the human body already has the ability to throw out unusual, toxic, or unnecessary substances. So, you should never try to do it on your own. If you or someone you know have swallowed something poisonous, talk to your doctor. And keep in mind that induce vomiting can even worsen the situation. Wondering what complications it can cause? According to Healthline, here are some of the most common ones:
- Damage to the esophagus and throat
- Inhaling vomit into the lungs
- When the poison moves back up, chemical burns can take place
Now I hope you have understood induce vomiting is not a good option. You should reach out to your doctor and talk to them. If they tell you to induce vomiting, only then do it. They will provide you clear instruction that helps in reducing the risks.
So, How To Deal With The Situation When You Have Eaten Something Toxic?
So, what should do if you, your child, or someone else have ingested something toxic? First of all, don’t panic. Contact the Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. They are available for you 24×7. Make sure that you explain every single detail to them.
What can you do to ease the condition at home? Here are some effective things that you can do:
- Throw the container away, check the mouth and remove if any extra poison has remained there.
- Again, do not induce vomiting as it can give birth to more complications.
- If you notice any serious symptoms like difficulty in breathing, confusion or drowsiness, burns, or rashes in the corner of the lips, call 911.
- When you are calling Poison Control, make sure to have the patient’s information like weight, age, height, any medical treatment going on, and any other medical condition he or she has.
Whenever you or someone you know is in this situation, the best you can do is reaching out to professional help immediately. Because they are the ones who can tell what exactly you should do.
What About Nausea?
Nausea is known to be an easiness in the stomach that mostly comes before vomiting. It’s not like a disease, but still, it can be a symptom of any other health issues, including:
- Blocked intestine
- Motion sickness
- Food poisoning
Many people who feel Nauseous tend to go for inducing vomiting. Yes, this may help but still not recommended because it can be harmful. Instead of inducing vomiting, you can try some of these:
- Try to reduce the temperature of your body. You can keep a cool pack on your forehead, turn on the fan or open the window. It may give you relief in Nausea.
- Start breathing deeply. Stay relaxed and allow your body to rest. Take deep and long breathe, hold for at least 5 to 10 seconds and exhale. Keep repeating it until you don’t feel relief from nausea.
- Try applying pressure to your wrist. Acupressure is known to be one of the ways to get relief from nausea.
- If it’s pregnancy-related nausea, citrusy smells can be helpful.
- Try relaxing your muscles.
- Avoid crunching your stomach. Because when you crunch, that area becomes more uncomfortable and the situation gets worsens.
- You can also try to eat candied or fresh ginger. Ginger tea may also help.
Conclusion | How To Induce Vomiting
If someone has eaten something toxic, reach out for professional help. Don’t try to induce vomiting, otherwise, serious complications take place.
If your doctor has recommended inducing vomiting, only then do that and follow all of his instructions.
If you feel Nauseous you can try out some home remedies we mentioned in this article. If they don’t help, contact your doctor.
So, that was all about how to induce vomiting. We hope that this article was helpful to you.
More Articles That May Help You: