Table of Contents
Do Yorkies Shed- All You Need To Know!
Do Yorkies shed? Before getting a dog, you must ask yourself specific questions you are comfortable with. Yorkshire terrier is known to be adorable dogs with a personality like humans that is aggressive and full of energy personality like humans. They lose their hair but have a minimal shedding cycle compared to other dog breeds.
But because they are tiny, it is rare to find a strand of hair at your home. In this short read, you will learn about Yorkies shedding and how to take care of their lovely hair.
Yorkies owners believe that Yorkies don’t shed, but it depends on the definition of shedding itself. If losing hair is part of shedding, then Yorkies will shed. It is just that because of Yorkie’s physique, and it isn’t easy to notice hair strands coming from them.
All dogs shed to a certain extent. Some even shed more than other breeds. While Yorkies might not shed as much as corgis, they aren’t a hairless dog breed that has no fur to shed hair.
If you have pet ever had a Yorkshire terrier before, you’ll notice that the texture and coat feel different compared to a golden retriever because Yorkies have silky, glossy, fine long, straight hair coat instead of a fur coat.
It might not be a big deal, but there’s a big difference between a hair coat and a fur coat. While most people use the word fur and hair interchangeably, it is not technically correct in terms of genetics, and they are pretty similar. It is both long and curly, while, on the other hand, a fur coat is always shorter.
Fur coats are typically denser because of their double coats: the undercoat and the topcoat. The significant advantage of having hair coats is they only have single coats, which means it is less shedding because of the slower shedding cycle.
So- Do Yorkies shed? Yorkies do shed but not in the same way that most dogs shed. It can be compared to how much hair a person loses their hair as it is very little and quite hard to notice.
All you have to do is bathe them regularly. Once you do that, it is unlikely that you will have issues with their hair lying around your house. You can rest assured that if you want to cuddle and have your Yorkshire terrier with you in bed, there will be no fallout.
Yorkies are an excellent choice if you are allergic and looking for dogs who shed a little. Let’s find out more about the topic- Do Yorkies shed or not.
Do Yorkies Shed? Coats and care
Yorkies can be seen possessing different kinds of coats. Some can have smooth and silky coats, while others have wavy and woolly ones.
Here is a list of the types of coats Yorkies have according to their growth–
The coats of the Yorkie puppy are darker in color, but as the puppy grows older, the dark color starts to fade away, giving way to new adult coats.
Yorkies have two types of adult coats: –
- The silky coats are long, smooth, shiny, and glossy. The silky coats are desired by many, and Yorkies with these coats are often seen participating in dog competitions and shows.
- The wavy coat is the second type of adult coat known as a woolly or curly. These are dense, wavy, and look wooly, unlike the silky ones. These do not grow long like the silky ones and generally shed more than the silky coats. These coats do not grow more than a few inches and are more prone to tangles; therefore, you need regular grooming and brushing.
How to groom your Yorkie is an essential part of a Yorkie’s routine grooming regular grooming includes many benefits like clean and shiny coats, healthy skin, and reduced risk of disease and infection.
Since Yorkies possess different coats, their grooming requires different methods, approaches, and tips to groom silky coats. Yorkies with silky coats have shiny long, and straight hair.
The grooming of a Yorkie usually involves dividing the hair into strips and then brushing the same brushing each strip separately ensures that the hair is brushed correctly. The brushing should preferably be done with the dog lying on the side of its body. This will ensure that brushing on each side is done correctly and every strip is clean.
Tips to groom
- Wavy coats give a dense and woolly look. These are likely to become dirty quicker and attract debris.
- To brush these coats, one needs to have a slight brush of good quality and gently brush towards the growing hair to remove excess dirt or hidden debris.
- One must prefer using a long-pinned comb or brush tips for brushing smoothly, avoid brushing a Yorkie’s coat when it is dry, avoid ripping through the hair, and treat the knots gently.
- Pick the strips and comb or brush the hair softly.
Do Yorkies Shed? 3 Tips for bathing a Yorkie
After six weeks, it is advisable to bathe them to keep a Yorkie look and feel fresh, attractive, and pleasing. It would be best to keep in mind that the skin of Yorkies is sensitive and dry, so you should use a soft moisturizing shampoo and the conditioner.
Styling a Yorkie is very easy because their coats consist of hair and not fur there are many hairstyles available to style your key up; however, among all the hairstyles, there are a few which are very common, and they are as follows: –
- The teddy bear hairstyle is the most popular hairstyle among Yorkies, and this is done by trimming the hair of a Yorkie to a shorter length. Yorkies with this hairstyle look like a puppy and throw off a cute look.
- The shave-down coat hairstyle is another popular hairstyle among the Yorkies, and the dogs with this hairstyle only have half an inch of hair on their body. The hair of the legs, tails, and head is left a little longer.
- This hairstyle is best suited to Yorkies during the show hairstyle’s hot and humid weather conditions. This hairstyle is only limited to the Yorkies who possess silky coats, and in this one, the hair is not cut. A Yorkie with this hairstyle requires regular brushing and grooming to keep the hair shiny and smooth. This hairstyle is mainly for the Yorkies who participate in dog shows and competitions.
Yorkshire terriers have a single coat instead of a double coat. This makes them more prone to cold weather and shivering though both the hair and fur grow from the same hair pores on a dog’s skin.
When it comes to Yorkshire terriers, there’s a difference. Other dog breeds that have a double coat shed their double coat heavily. Do Yorkies shed? When the seasons change, Yorkies have a simple single overcoat that they don’t shed heavily.
These breeds with a double coat on their body consist of fur, protecting them from the intense cold weather and wind.
Vitamins needed for nourished Yorkie hair should include vitamin A and vitamin E in your Yorkshire terrier’s diet. Vitamin E protects your Yorkie’s skin cells from oxidant damage. Not only it’s beneficial for the dog’s hair and coat, but it’s also amazing for Yorkies’ liver nerve cells and heart health.
Green leafy vegetables like spinach and broccoli, almonds, nuts, and sunflower seeds are rich sources of vitamin E, and fish oil, eggs, cheese, and milk are sources of vitamin A for your Yorkie.
Now that you know whether Yorkies shed or not, you can easily decide on getting one.