Long hair Dachshund dog breed is the best pick if you are looking for a loyal and extremely loving dog for your family.
They come in three different varieties, and long-haired Dachshund is one of them.
The other two are known as wire-haired and smooth-haired Dachshunds. All of them are different from each other and have different requirements.
However, if you are new to the long-haired Dachshund dog breed or thinking to buy a new one, this is the perfect place. In this article, you will get every essential information on this dog breed.
Make sure to stick to the end so you can have strong knowledge about your long haired Dachshund.
History Of Long Haired Dachshund
Nowadays, this dog breed is kept as a pet at home and is known to be very friendly. But in their past, they were completely different and their history is really interesting.
They were discovered back in the 15th century.
The exact place where they originated is not pretty clear right now. Some sources say the breed originated in Germany. On the other hand, some confess that the breed was present in the countries like China, Egypt, Greece, and Mexico.
Long haired Dachshund looks pretty cute though. But the fact may surprise you that they were originally bred to hunt the badgers and were very successful in it.
As they used to be hunters in the past, there is a possibility that they still try to chase anything moving in front of them.
In 1885, they came to the US. The same year, they got recognition from the American Kennel Club. Three years later, in 1888, The German Dachshund Club was founded.
In the 19th century, their popularity was at a peak in Germany and Britain. But during World War 1, they lost their admiration and love because of their Germanic origins.
The Appearance Of a Long Haired Dachshund
Here is the overview of how they generally look like.
- A long haired Dachshund has short strong legs, a long-backed body. Their body type is quite unique and anyone can easily recognize them. Their body type also earned them some short names like wiener dogs and hot dogs.
- They have long hair as their name describes. They have hairs around a few particular spots such as the neck, ears, stomach, and legs. These hairs are the main highlight which gives them a very elegant and beautiful appearance.
- This dog breed comes in several colors. Most dogs come in solid colors such as red, Isabella, and English creme. You may also find them in the colors like bicolor or a solid combination of a dark or light black color. You can also see Dashchund with dapple and brindle patterns and tan or red shades too.
- The color of the eye can be various. But the dark eye color is the most common.
- A completely grown Dachshund will stand around 35 cm and weighs approximately 9 to 12 kg.
Their appearance is mostly the same as the short-haired Dachshund. But their long coat is the only thing that helps in differentiating them.
Personality Characteristics Of a Long Haired Dachshund
Some people think that this dog breed is small in size and may not have qualitative personality characteristics. But this is not true at all.
A long haired Dachshund can be very intelligent and as well as curious. They happily learn anything new which helps in making the training sessions more efficient and easier.
They have very high energy and can easily spend their day while being active. They happily participate in physical activities such as running, walking, or jumping. This trait is pretty good for their overall health.
They are very lovable and loyal to their family members. But when introduced to strangers, the case can be opposite. They may become very vocal. Especially, when they are in front of stranger dogs, a fight can take place.
Their courageous behavior encourages them to do that. Even if the dog’s size is double, it won’t matter to them. Studies have also proved that this trait exists in most Dachshunds. But an owner can easily prevent this by introducing the right training.
Belonging from the hunter background can also be a reason why Dachshunds feel fear and unusual around strangers.
Hunter background can also be a reason for a few unusual traits, including:
- Barking more than usual
- Scratching or digging in the ground
- Chasing wildlife
Long Haired Dachshund Price
I’m sure you must be wondering whether this dog breed is budget-friendly for me or not. Here is the answer…
The average cost of your long-haired Dachshund will fall between $350 to $2000, according to petspruce.
Keep in mind that the exact cost will depend on the color, breeding history, and size.
How Long Does a Long Haired Dachshund Live?
A long haired dachshund is generally known to be very healthy. They have an average lifespan of between 12 to 15 years.
But you can also increase it by taking care of a few things. You will just have to keep them happy, engage in physical activities and provide proper nutrition.
What Is The Most Common Cause Of Death In Long Haired Dachshund?
There are many diseases that can be life-threatening Duhshund but heart disease is the most common. Most heart diseases are caused when the valve gets weakened. When it happens, the heart valve gradually starts becoming deforming and it is not closed tightly anymore. It causes blood leakage which leads to strain in the heart. Dogs with heart valve disease have hurt murmur.
If you take your pup to the vet at the right time. Then they can save your dog’s life by introducing medications at right time.
Some Interesting Fun Facts About Long Haired Dachshund
Here are some of the interesting facts about this breed.
- Longer-haired Dachshunds are known to have a most milder temperament when compared to the other two coat varieties.
- They come in 15 different colors of variety and around 6 different coat markings.
- They are also best known for their love for food. They may do overeating but you should not let that happen.
- They run faster. There are races conducted for them (mostly in California). If you want your pup to participate in these races, you can find them and definitely go for it.
- The miniature size of this breed is considered the smallest hunter. There are lots of hunting dogs out there. But their miniature size gives them a unique identity.
- Miniature long-haired Dachshunds are one of the most popular dogs out there. In the year 2013, they managed to get a spot in the top 15 most famous dog breeds.
- They have a soft corner for jumping. They used to jump from bed, table, or even from the owner’s hand. But keep in mind that these jumps can cause back problems to your dog as they are already prone to them.
- Many people used to keep this breed as a watchdog. Their bark is very louder than many other large dogs which makes them a great watchdog.
- They hate punishments.
Is It Easy or Difficult To Train a Long Haired Dachshund?
Well, long haired dachshund can be trained very easily.
But still, there are chances that they may show stubbornness sometimes. They may completely ignore what you are telling them to do. Giving them their favorite treats might be a good solution.
Also remember, always start the training when your dog is young. Because as an adult, they may not do anything unless they feel like doing it.
Dr. Holley Ramsey, Ph.D., author at Dachshund World, has observed for a very long time that a long-haired doxie definitely works for food. So it is good to find out your pup’s favorite treat and give them when performing well in training sessions.
You should also put light on their socialization skill. One of the best ways to develop social skills is getting as much exposure to stranger dogs, people, and even children. It will make them more familiar with socialization and teach them how one should interact with others.
You can also go for virtual dog training classes. Click here to know more about them.
5 Important Things To Focus For a Happy and Healthy Long Haired Dachshund
Dog owners must take care of all the factors mentioned below. If you do this well, most likely your Doxie is going to have a long, healthy, and happy life.
Physical activity, the factor if you ignore, your four-legged friend can be in a big danger. It can lead to problems like overweight and joint issues also.
But how much exercise per day is enough for a dog? You can follow a general of thumb provided by 1-800 PetMeds, engage your dog in physical activities for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours a day.
You can take them for walking, play any sports with them and when you have scarcity of time, you allow them to play with their toys. Just make sure to keep them engage in physical activities regularly. It won’t only improve physical health but also mental health.
Long haired Dachshund has an active nature and you may not have to force your doxie to exercise. It is a huge advantage.
Also, keep in mind that you should avoid taking your pup for a walk on the same route every day. Keep changing it because they love to explore new places.
A tip for you – During exercise, avoid the activities like jumping or anything that put stress on your dog’s spine. As it can lead to some serious back problems.
Mental stimulation is a phenomenal way to help in enhancing your pup’s life. But most people don’t know how to do that. Here are a few daily activities that can help in the mental stimulation of your dog.
1. Introduce a Puzzle Toy To Your Dog – This can be a game-changer. When your furry friend starts engaging with the puzzle toys. They will get something to focus on for some time and something meaningful to do in their day.
2. Take your long haired doxie outside – No need to run or intense exercise. Simply go on a walk, it will be a great dose of mental stimulation. Allow your dog to smell the things around him, don’t rush. Just allow him to explore. Exploration is just as important as physical exercise in a dog’s life.
3. Take some time out and teach new tricks to your dog – Teaching your dog new tricks won’t only help in mental stimulation but also daily life. And don’t worry if you don’t have time. 5 to 15 minutes of regular training is enough.
These are only a few ways but there are many more. You should engage your pup in mind stimulation activities every single day. It will won’t only improve your dog’s mental health but also strengthen the bond between you and your four-legged friend.
Groom Your Pup Properly
Regular grooming is important to keep your doggie happy and healthy. Of course, who like being dirty and unhygienic, no one.
You should bathe your long-haired doxie for at least 2-3 months. Whenever you notice your pup is having a bad smell, that’s the time for a bathe. However, they have very little odor so no need to bathe them more often. If you do, it can eliminate all the natural oils from your dog’s body and cause dry skin.
As they have long hairs, regularly taking care of them is important. When your pup’s hairs are touching the ground, it’s time to give your buddy a haircut. Regular brushing is equally important. It will help in preventing shedding and matting. Just try to give a quick brush every day, the benefits will amaze you.
Remember, brushing should be done very softly. Make it as comfortable as you can.
Also, don’t forget to groom their nails, eyes, paws, and teeth. These things might seem small but are very important for a dog’s hygiene and well-being.
If you have a puppy long haired dachshund, you will not have to make too much effort to groom them. They will easily get used to it.
But if you have an adult long haired dachshund, you may have to face some difficulties. Giving treats after every good behavior in the grooming session can be helpful.
Click here to get some grooming tips that can ease your grooming sessions.
Feeding a High-Quality Diet
Compromising on the quality of your dogs should not happen at all. Bad nutrition can be a reason for many life-threatening diseases. You may not notice it in a short time period, but it can seriously damage the health of your dog in long term.
Feed a well-balanced and nutritious diet to your doggie so he stays healthy. Whenever you are going to the market to buy dog food. Always avoid food that includes harmful ingredients such as Melamine, Monosodium Glutamate, artificial colors, etc.
The long haired dachshund dog breed is also inclined to overweight. So make sure to provide well-balanced food in the right amount.
Know About Their Health Problems (Never Ignore This)
There can be many health problems in a long haired Dachshund. Here are some of the most common ones.
Infections – This dog breed is more inclined towards few viral and bacterial infections like such as parvovirus, distemper, rabies, etc. Some of them can also be life-threatening. But the vaccination at the right age can help in preventing these kinds of viruses.
Patellar Luxation – Dachshund, especially the younger ones are more inclined to this problem. It is also known as dislocation of the kneecap. When the problem is not much serious, arthritis medication can be the perfect treatment. But if the case turns severe, surgery might be the last option.
Obesity – This is another disease that your long haired Dachshund may face in their lifetime. It can lead to some serious health issues such as joint issues, weak digestion, and can also cause issues in the liver or heart. So don’t take it lightly. Avoid feeding your pup extra food on the plate and also all those food that can cause overweight in your dog.
Dental Problems – Another most common health problem in Dachshunds. If you don’t regularly clean your pup’s teeth, tartar build-up can take place. It can damage their teeth and even the roots. So regularly clean your dog’s teeth if you don’t want to see your furry friend’s teeth falling at an early age.
Intervertebral Disk Disease – This health problem mainly affects the spine or neck of a Dachshund and causes extreme pain. To prevent this disease, you should not engage your pup in any exercise or activity that creates tension in the spine.
Your dog can also face some skin issues like sarcoptic mange. It can lead your pup to some serious consequences such as hair loss or infection on the skin. Skin issues are mostly the result of an inadequate diet. So avoid giving your dog food that contains toxic ingredients.
If you notice that your dog is itching extremely, take professional help ASAP.
Remember: Go to your vet for regular check-ups. They can help in identifying any health issue before it turns serious.
Know These Things Before Bringing a Long Haired Dachshund At Your Home
There are a few traits in this breed that may not be suitable for some people, which includes:
- They have long hairs and require grooming more often, if you don’t like it avoid getting this breed.
- If you are a first-time going to own a pet, avoid this breed. Because sometimes training can be stressful for you.
- If you don’t like the dogs that shed more often, this breed is not for you.
Advantages and disadvantages Of Owning a Long Haired Dachshund
Here are a few advantages and disadvantages you get as a long haired Dachshund owner.
|Advantages Of Owning a Long Haired Dachshund||Disadvantages Of Owning a Long Haired Dachshund|
5 Buying Tips To Keep In Mind
Here a few buying tips that can help you in getting your perfect long haired Dachshund dog.
1. Don’t Buy Your Dachshund From a Pet Store
Yes, you should not buy your dog from a pet store. Because these dogs come from the breeding kennels and puppy mills. You can consider it as commercial farms that produce puppies without proper care. They don’t even provide proper food and fresh water to them which can cause many serious health problems.
2. Do Research and Find a Reliable Breeder
You should buy your long haired Dachshund from a reputable and trustworthy breeder. Do the research and find out a few breeders. Talk to them and try to have a proper conversation. Ask them to send you legitimate photos of the puppy.
Asking your vet or friends to suggest a reputable breeder can also be a great idea.
3. Have a Look On The Reviews Of The Breeder
If the breeder has some online presence, go and check it out. You can get a decent idea about the breeder by looking at reviews on their online platforms.
4. Ask Your Breeder To Give Some Tips
Your breeder can be a great source to get some valuable tips regarding caring for and raising a long-haired doxie. Ask them if you have any kind of doubt. They will surely help you.
5. Beware Of the Scammers Roaming On the Internet
There are scammers on the internet that you should be aware of. Here are a few signs that a scammer may have.
- Using wrong spellings and grammar while communicating.
- May ask you to pay extra money for some unusual reason.
- They may prefer to communicate via text messages and not get on a call, even if you request.
- They may be using photos of the puppies that are available on many websites.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some related questions that people ask about a long haired Dachshund and some of them you might have in mind as well.
Do Long Haired Dachshund Bark a Lot?
Yes, they bark a lot and have a very loud voice.
In How Much Time My Long Haired Dachshund Will Have His Full Coat?
It will take around 18 months to 2 years to get the full coat.
Is Long Haired Dachshund Calmer?
If we compare them with two other coat varieties. They are the most calmer and kind-natured dogs.
How Can I Identify My Dachshund Is The Long Haired One?
The dog should have a long-backed body and short legs. They will have a pointy nose, long floppy ears, and large and attractive eyes.
Their coat can be slightly wavy or completely straight. It will be very close to the body and longest behind the legs, neck, and also on a few other parts of the body.
How Can I Control The Shedding of My Of My Long Haired Dachshund?
Regular brushing, feeding the right diet can be very helpful in minimizing the shedding of your pup.
Long haired dachshund is a fantastic, loyal, and kind-tempered dog breed. As an owner, you should take the responsibility to train them and provide proper care and food to them. Show lots of love to them every day. Tell them how much you love them. It will improve their mental health and make them stress-free. If you do all these things, then you are ultimately increasing their quality of life.